• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

A love song for Zellers

I sympathize I miss TRU like this.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

This hits me in many places. When I got out of college, my first gig was servicing all the Zeller's stores in Toronto. I knew them inside and out, they were terribly managed but they were childhood. When my first kid was born, we ALWAYS shopped at Zellers because nobody else did. I still have clothes I bought there.

PS Eff Target.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
      This hits me in many places.
      Thank you for sharing that. I unfortunately never got to shop at Zellers but the video still really hit me. It reminded me of all the stores I used to go to that are long gone. All the memories the holidays and birthdays. Made me a more than a little wistful and sentimental feeling.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Did Target Canada fail because it supplanted Zellers? I'm trying to recall the discussion here years ago.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Thank you for sharing that. I unfortunately never got to shop at Zellers but the video still really hit me. It reminded me of all the stores I used to go to that are long gone. All the memories the holidays and birthdays. Made me a more than a little wistful and sentimental feeling.
          Yes--at K-Mart, Gold Circle, Mr. Wiggs/Hills, Fisher Big Wheel, Conley's, Nichol's, Buckeye Mart, Freedlander's, on and on. Great memories--there was a time when I could recall when I received each of my original Megos and from what retailer.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            Yes--at K-Mart,
            I have some fond memories of following my parents around at Kmart as they chased down blue light specials at Christmas. Kind of sad to think Kmart is all but gone now.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

I loved our trips to Zellers. Looking round the toy section, then checking out the View-Master and Campus Craft poster displays, then a root beer float in the restaurant. Great memories.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Paperback hero
                • Mar 20, 2012

I worked in the Skillet, the Zellers restaurant, from when I was 14 to 18. I was out of toys at the time, but would walk through the toy aisles from where I'd punch in to the restaurant. I remember marveling over the amount of X-Men characters they were making, and how awful GiJoe RAH had become.

I still make my club sandwiches like the 3D club we sold.

RIP

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  Did Target Canada fail because it supplanted Zellers? I'm trying to recall the discussion here years ago.
                  Target bought out most of the Zeller's locations and then bungled the whole thing. They ran them differently than the US and it was a clusterf*** , empty shelves and zero of the brands Canadians were expecting would be available. Then they just pulled out overnight. I knew people who left great careers with other prosperous retail head offices and they were made jobless.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks, that's truly sad. When you've lost a job, hearing such really resonates.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎