X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jrfjr126rock
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 23, 2008

Star Trek TOS Crew Extras!

I posted before about getting some extra outfits but I wanted to share some fun characters I am going to be working on soon! My favorite thing about Star Trek was how there was so many diverse extras with different roles and ranks so I wanted to emulate that with my main crew collection...

Lt Charlene Masters (I always loved how she had short hair and that she was in a blue dress but worked in engineering)

I was actually thinking of using a buckwheat head and repainting the face with some makeup but im not sure if it will work with the neckplug so any suggestions feel free to let me know! (I hate using the traditional uhura head for every black women especially when its another Star Trek crew)

Lt Boma (He was supposed to be a series regular but apparently had scheduling issues!)

I think I am going to use a Muhammad Ali head for him.

Lt Leslie (the most infamous redshirt next to Scotty)

I think I am going to rework a Peter Parker head maybe for him.

Marla McGivers (need her for a companion for Khan)

I think a repainted Peg Bundy will work for her.

These are the top priorities right now that I don't think will be too difficult, feel free to give any suggestions I always love your support!
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

the Al Bundy head was what was originally going to be released for Mr. Lesley. you just need to repaint the hair.

Ali works well for Boma, or you can get one of the LJN figures, not sure on the name, but he works well too

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
      the Al Bundy head was what was originally going to be released for Mr. Lesley. you just need to repaint the hair.

Ali works well for Boma, or you can get one of the LJN figures, not sure on the name, but he works well too

Oh wow I never even noticed the resemblance from the new Al Bundy... its actually pretty uncanny!

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

The Al Bundy head works perfectly as Leslie at least for me.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

I used LJN SWAT Terry for my Lt. Boma custom.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by TrekStar
            I used LJN SWAT Terry for my Lt. Boma custom.
            that's the one. I have it in my parts box but did not remember his name. I just don't have an extra brown body so never made Boma.

Ritchie Cunningham works for several and people here have made some great customs of Lt. Riley, Gary Mitchel, burnt Pike in the wheelchair. i used it for Riley

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

you know, for Marla Mcgivers, i think the Peg Bundy head from CTVT works much better, you just would have to modify the earrings she has. I keep thinking there must be a head that can be dyed for Lt Masters. just haven't found the right one yet. there are so few African American heads that have been made. Even the Yvonne body in brown has only the Yvonne head done in brown.

Comment

• apes3978
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Jrfjr126rock
                Lt Charlene Masters (I always loved how she had short hair and that she was in a blue dress but worked in engineering)

I was actually thinking of using a buckwheat head and repainting the face with some makeup but im not sure if it will work with the neckplug so any suggestions feel free to let me know! (I hate using the traditional uhura head for every black women especially when its another Star Trek crew)

I can see where you're coming from as far as Buckwheat and the Lieutenant go hair style wise, but I myself don't think it'd work too well... Buckwheat, even with makeup, might still look too boyish... And the "Our Gang" figures, as well done as they are, are (IMO) too "dollish" in appearance to make good customs to intermingle with the other MEGO lines, although with the creativity of a lot of customizers around, I'm sure it could be done...

There was an African American Dinah-Mite figure, but she had longer, straight hair and I believe she's a harder, and rarer (and therefore more expensive) figure to find, so that might rule her out too... But, if you'd find one in rougher shape, maybe she'd be the one to go with? Cut off her hair and use some sort of modeling compound to give her the shorter Afro hair?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Regarding that Dinah--if I could find one inexpensively--I'd remove the rooted hair and have it flocked for Lt. Masters.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

Forgot to add that Dr. Mego may be able to help you out... Here's the link to his website's heads and helmets section:

The head on the top of the page may work for you, the head simply called "Bald Female Head". If you scroll down towards the middle of the page, you'll see that Dr. Mego has her titled as "Brown Julie Head", so you can see what she'd look like as an African American. It's the same head, just that the Brown Julie Head has long hair added, which of course you do not need, so you could just buy the bald version as shown on the top of the page and do your own short Afro hairstyle on her, or as PNGwynne mentioned (about AA Dinah-Mite), you could maybe just get the head flocked?

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

Duplicate post!
                      Last edited by apes3978; Nov 7, '20, 7:30 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

Comment

• phil
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 11, 2007

I used the Tony Nelson head to make Lt Hadley. Not an exact match but close enough for me. Jeannie became Janice Rand. I have also gone the Richie Cunningham as Kevin Riley route.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I just don't understand the Richie head for anything, including Richie--those vintage Happy Days heads are awful except Fonzie. .

Wouldn't FTC Burt Ward make a better Riley?
                          Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 7, '20, 12:13 PM.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            I just don't understand the Richie head for anything, including Richie--those Happy Days heads are awful except Fonzie. .

Wouldn't FTC Burt Ward make a better Riley?
                            Richie’s hair style is closer to Riley’s plus the head fits on a New Mego Trek body. Richie’s hair should probably be painted to better match Kevin Riley. I haven’t gotten around to that yet.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

It's the sculpt and those droopy, dead eyes, echh. Hair color's an easy fix.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎