Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mego Phantom of the Opera Masque of Red Death Revealed!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alex
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 15, 2009

Originally posted by Confessional
    it would have been great to have the staff included..
    The staff from the WOZ castle set with the skull at the end, would work quite well with this guy.

Last edited by alex; Nov 2, '20, 5:37 AM.

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by alex
      The staff from the WOZ castle set with the skull at the end, would work quite well with this guy.

http://www.megomuseum.com/galleries/...witchs-castle/
      Yes! Just add a tiny snake and you are there.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

I am so lost, what version of Edgar Allan Poe The Masque of the Red Death did the use? Its not the version I was hoping for to get a ReMego version of Roger Corman Vincent Price Roger Corman Vincent Price Red Death.jpg
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

^^ 1925 (29/30)
          Last edited by Confessional; Nov 2, '20, 5:42 PM. Reason: … sound & technicolor!

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

For some reason I do not think I have watched the original, strange. The 1929 movie did an outstanding job on this...
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

It's the Phantom of the Opera AS the Masque of the Red Death. It's a segment of the Chaney Phantom of the Opera film where the Phantom appears in costume at a ball, as seen in the pic Brian posted.
                sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

yeah I know I going get in trouble for saying this, but I have only watched Phantom of the Opera once, way back on VHS. He just doesn't fit in with the other Universal Monsters nor did he crossover (as far as I know). He kind of fits in like the like the Metaluna Mutant from This Island Earth, they were released during this time period but do not really connect...

I will go back and rewatch it tonight on
                  Last edited by monitor_ep; Nov 2, '20, 4:56 PM.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^No, I get it. I know some folks who don't consider the Creature part of the proper Universal monsters either, since he came later during the more science-fiction driven era. Heck, only the Universal Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man and Invisible Man intersected, the later only in a gag cameo in Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. So we kind of think of these monsters mixing together mostly due to the merchandise, and they reach back and grab the Phantom, and in the early Monster Kid days, Quasimodo to fill out the ranks.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

I get so confused with the Universal Monsters when there were so many movies that should fit under that title but the studio did not think about future sales back then.

Oh I would LOVE a Mego Hunchback figure, there are some customs that could use that body...
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                        yeah I know I going get in trouble for saying this, but I have only watched Phantom of the Opera once, way back on VHS. He just doesn't fit in with the other Universal Monsters nor did he crossover...

Those are fighting words! lol

Admittedly, the Phantom is an urban terrorist/gaslighter who does not blend easily with the Big Four. The French trope of Beauty & Beast is there too, somewhat like the Hunchback, and it wouldn't blend as well with the mittel-European setting of Uni Monsters. The Mummy doesn't crossover, either, for related reasons.

But I never really liked the rally films (except the last with A&C). I think the Phantom has the literary roots and cinema chomps to qualify. Chaney is iconic.

If we can embrace Dr. Griffin and Dr. Jekyll, surely we can find room for Eric.
                        Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 2, '20, 7:05 PM.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          ^No, I get it. I know some folks who don't consider the Creature part of the proper Universal monsters either, since he came later during the more science-fiction driven era. Heck, only the Universal Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man and Invisible Man intersected, the later only in a gag cameo in Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. So we kind of think of these monsters mixing together mostly due to the merchandise, and they reach back and grab the Phantom, and in the early Monster Kid days, Quasimodo to fill out the ranks.

Chris
                          The Phantom was everywhere in the '60s, a Dracula-litigation stand-in?
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
                            Maker & Whatnot
                            • Aug 8, 2012

Phantom/Red Death is one of the most striking images to appear in film of the era and genre, whereas previously the character was witnessed in live theatre (scary!!!) and of course in illustration. It's a brilliant choice for a Mego, we just are going to have to do a little work to properly honor him.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jun 22, 2011

BBTS has a Masque of the Red Death Mego ( separate from the Phantom version ) up for preorder. I went ahead and preordered both since I love the Phantom and I'm hoping the other one is Vincent Price fron the American International film.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
                                BBTS has a Masque of the Red Death Mego ( separate from the Phantom version ) up for preorder. I went ahead and preordered both since I love the Phantom and I'm hoping the other one is Vincent Price fron the American International film.
                                It isn’t, they’re both the same.
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎