Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apenutncc1701
    • Aug 9, 2009

2020 The year of the real life horror movie

Since today is Halloween I thought it would be interesting to see which horror movie tropes we can apply to 2020. First of all I want to state that this post is in no way to be construed as being political or a statement of support or non-support of those in leadership. I also want to say I am not trying to minimize the effects that Covid has had on society or minimize the losses that many have suffered because of it, especially our friends here at the museum. I merely find it amazing how many things that occur in horror movies have occurred during this crisis. The first one I want to point out is the killer. Covid has many characteristics similar to those of horror protagonist. It is invisible, strikes without warning, is indiscriminate about who its victims are, just when we think we are defeating it it comes back stronger, as of right now there is no way to kill it. Society has reacted in some cases as those in horror movies such as mass hysteria including hoarding and violence trying to get precious items, some choosing to ignore or defy directives from leadership (especially the scientific community) about measures intended to protect from the disease. Those in leadership positions down playing the threat, not listening to their own scientist, putting self interests ahead of society, underestimating their enemy. Not all are negative. Some of the positive things found in horror movies that we have witnessed this year include those who have purposefully put themselves in harm's way to help others without regard to their own safety, people coming together to lift one another's spirits, the knowing that we will persevere through this. Please share others you think apply. I also want to say my thoughts and prayers are with everyone who has lost a loved one(s) to this terrible pandemic and a great big
    Thank You to those on the front lines fighting this monster. We will get through this, please be kind to one another, have patience for those who react differently to this than you, say "I love you" more. God Bless.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

this thread is just asking for trouble isn't it?
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      this thread is just asking for trouble isn't it?
      it sure reads as political

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎