Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jess Franco's Count Dracula (El Conde Dracula)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Jess Franco's Count Dracula (El Conde Dracula)

I have heard about this for years. Christopher Lee in a faithful adaptation of the Dracula novel? With the bushy mustache and everything!

I had never seen it until today. Other than Lee...what a let down. It's...DULL. I don't know how else to say it. Herbert Lom as Van Helsing and Klaus Kinski as Renfield can't even make it exciting. The point of no return for me was the staking of Lucy. Always a spectacular scene in every other Dracula film, whether they swap Lucy's and Mina's names or not. Hammer's was fantastic, as was the Langella version (with creepy, CREEPY Mina). Coopola's version was over-the-top Grand Guignol. But this was...nothing.

Sorry to be negative, but I really expected to like this film. When I saw it was on Tubi, I was so excited. Finally, I can watch this!!! But other than the opening, with Harker at the castle, when Lee has time to actually act...it was a disappointment.

Chris
    sigpic
  • Goblin19
    Talkative Member
    • May 2, 2002

I’ve almost watched it several times, but I hear it’s just not that good. I keep putting it off.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I saw this in 1990, taped from TV. I recall nothing of it save that Lee has a mustache and Van Helsing has a stroke.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^That's the gist of it. Herbert Lom is thoroughly wasted as Van Helsing. He and Lee's Dracula have one scene together (after his stroke), and I don't think they were ever in the same room. They are never on camera together.

I think Van Helsing's stroke was devised so Lom would have a reason for NOT being in the finale for Dracula's destruction. If your scheduling conflicts are that bad...cast another actor!

As much as I love Lee...and I do... avoid this and go watch any Hammer Dracula film. Even the least of them, Scars of Dracula, is WAY better than this, in my opinion.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

I first saw this years ago after reading Stoker’s novel and was very disappointed. If Christopher Lee wasn’t it in it there would be no point in watching it. I agree that the least of the Hammer Dracula films is better than this.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎