X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Captain Action purple suit variation

I've been wanting an example of the purple suit variation for quite a while and just got one.

I'm happy with it!

Basically the purple replaced the standard blue fabric on the Captain Action suit. The purple is the color of the Phantom suit and the thought was during production they used the Phantom fabric instead, creating this cool variation.

I've included a picture of the standard suit below as well. Also below you can see the standard blue fabric on the inside where the snaps are located.

Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Nice score, congrats!

I cant' help but think of bizarro Capt. Evil when I see the purple suit.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Boywonder0
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 29, 2007

Awesome acquisition Danny! Congrats!

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Royal purple coolness!

Comment

• The Batman Professor
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 15, 2010

Purple suit is my favorite.
          sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

That's slick!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• libby 1957dog
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 3, 2009

i posted this in the variants thread ,thought it worth asking here also i too thought the purple suit explanation was the same as in the first post

so a quick question regarding the cap action purple suit are you saying the color changed over time much like the purple gray mego type one superman suit as i thought it was down to a factory using phantom purple fabric by mistake or design due to shortage of the blue at some point in production

also i've seen a knock off wearing a half and half captain action suit purple and blue with black
              and assumed it was a factory error or reject

thanks for any light you or others can shine on it

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

I'll reply here and the other thread.

Basically I've seen faded/UV damaged blue suits, and full on Phantom colored suits as well. I also have seen the combination one you mentioned that has normal C/A blue jumpsuit along with phantom blue legs. I feel they were factory mix ups and a cool one at that.
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 3, 2009

hi danny thanks for the reply ,can i ask for a little clarification ,as im a bit hard of thinking these days lol

are you saying you've seen a reverse version of this suit with blue chest and purple legs

and that these were factory errors and not faded suits ,i alway thought the fading in this instance was unlikely as this one is unopened and shows no color deterioration in the lower half and my expectation would have been it would have all faded to the same degree

and the only other one of the captain suit knock off ive seen in packaging was the regular blue black suit ,it had no emblem for some reason ,could be why they ended up on knock offs later down the line

oddly the only packaged super hero ones ive seen with the captain action mannequin type bodies of superman ,batman were complete outfits with belts but both they and the spiderman all had knock off boots

the loose ones ive had in the past had correct boots and no belts

no rhyme or reason with knock offs lol

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

I have seen the reverse version of the Blue/Purple suit as well. Now as with anything, someone good with sewing could probably make one of their own, but given most of these I've seen on eBay and such and they were just tossed in with other stuff it's unlikely they were cobbled later together from Phantom suits.

Now I've also seen faded uniforms, and those are pretty easy to check, as generally the inside won't be faded, and under the emblem won't be. The one I have pictured above, the thread is from the normal suit as is the extra material to strengthen the snaps. I had to replace the emblem on that one as it wasn't in great shape and when I pulled it off, it was the same purple color underneath.

The later "Hero's" carded figures, I've seen them in all sort of configurations. Pristine C/A uniform with chest emblem, without, C/A blow molded head on a Mego uniform etc. Those are a lot of fun.
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 3, 2009

thanks for the info danny ,coincidentally there's a toys shop in the uk just made a cap action batman on the blow moulded doll with the flash gordon face and a cardback toy of the day ,this one has cap action boots where as mine have knock off boots and caps face on a broader doll

heres the captain faced doll

as you can see it has caps face and broader shouldered doll
                      no rules on knock offs it really was the wild west lol

Comment

• Neutron X
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 22, 2007

Cool Post!!! I had a few badly faded CA suits and they turned light blue not purple. So cool too see your version. I had a purple version but was badly damaged so didn't really help me figure out anything. LOL We are now up to 3 different factory editions of KO Captain Action. Seems like most came out of UK. Now if it doesn't get clearer what's up with Hong Kong KO Captain Action Kamen Rider. None none known MIP yet. Is it the only known figure of this run? thanks for great post!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎