X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Confessional
    I get the point you're making about large box distribution, but I think you're overlooking that small retailers do have many effective ways to acquire customers. Discovery is courted and promoted through electronic media of every kind, event appearances big and small, and even through brick and mortar. Consider the multitude of toy and collectibles retailers with primary online presence, and their growth over the past 15 years. In terms of toys, this seems to have very much bucked the trend that comics have experienced.
    I'll disagree and here's why-those online toy sellers growth was equaled by the shrinking of physical toy sales in brick and mortar places like TRU. The same thing happened with digital comics, it altered the buying habits of existing customers so their growth was part of a zero sum game, because the growth equaled the losses elsewhere. It isn't creating new customers, it is shifting how and where existing customers make their purchases. If the growth of online toysellers had happened without a loss of sales in physical outlets, it would be a sign of true growth and an expanding market, but their increase came at the expense of brick and mortar retailer sales so it's not an expansion of the market, but a change within the existing market.

And electronic discovery is dependent on one of two things (unless you have a lot of marketing money to throw into online ad campaigns)-knowing what you are looking for (which defeats the purpose of discovery as you have to already know about it) or triggering an algorithm that puts the product in front of your eyes, which usually means the potential customer is already interested in that type of product and isn't going to provide the kind of potential discovery being in the mass market might.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Thanks for clarifying. We are using different metrics to define growth and discovery. In my case, I'm considering a small retailer or company to be one that might be part of something like Designer Con. These companies/distributors/makers/collectives were never in the physical outlets you are citing (although a select few did transcend such as Super7 and Kidrobot), hence my position that they have indeed effectively grown over time through the means cited.
      Last edited by Confessional; Nov 3, '20, 3:24 PM. Reason: … new markets to customers without one!

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

Well it was sorta happy day for me, my lcal Wal-Mart got in there first wave of Mego figures. There were only 8 hanging with 4 different characters:
        20201106_105524~2.jpg

*Chucky
        *Rocky
        *Star Trek Jean-Luc Picard
        *Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Now I only picked of the 4 figures, because I was going out of town and was hoping that the other Wal-Mart would have in something but nope still hooks. For now I am keeping them in there package till I go back and pick up the other set except for Hannibal (need part for custom)
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Pick up some extra Rocky’s and make Rambo customs.

Comment

• Mego Newbie14
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 25, 2018

Swung by the store closest to my house and found Stan Lee, Chucky, Hannibal Lecter, and the alien guy from Discovery. Grabbed all except the alien guy.

Comment

• phil
              Persistent Member
              • May 11, 2007

Still haven’t seen anything at my local Walmart but in another store I did find Saru which was the only MEGO figure they had.

Comment

• zeedox
                Career Member
                • Aug 10, 2007

Still nothing

Empty pegs again today.
                Yknow maybe I don't really care so much anymore.

Comment

• zeedox
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 10, 2007

Found one Saru today at Walmart

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡