X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ActionFigureFan
    • Oct 27, 2020

Action figure help?

Hello everyone,

I’ve been binging the Brick Mantooth YT channel, and I’ve got general questions that have probably been answered ad nauseam, so please bear with me? I’m very new to figure collecting, and I’m overwhelmed by the amount of figure lines there are!

1. How significant are the costs between vintage Mego figures and their various repros? (I do know FTC exists, is there a company that does Marvel reproductions?)

1a. Same as #1, substitute 60s GI Joe for Mego.

2. Are “loose” figures, bagged or still on card better/easier to try and collect?

3. What’s a good ‘beginner’ line (read: inexpensive) to try and collect?

Again, I apologize for the questions you all can probably answer in your sleep by now!

Thanks in advance!
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by ActionFigureFan
    Hello everyone,

I’ve been binging the Brick Mantooth YT channel, and I’ve got general questions that have probably been answered ad nauseam, so please bear with me? I’m very new to figure collecting, and I’m overwhelmed by the amount of figure lines there are!

1. How significant are the costs between vintage Mego figures and their various repros? (I do know FTC exists, is there a company that does Marvel reproductions?

I could write a novel on this. It's really all over the place depending on which versions made by which company. No one is doing Marvel now, although EMCE/Diamond Select did some wonderful boxed sets a few years ago of some core characters.

1a. Same as #1, substitute 60s GI Joe for Mego.

Outta my wheelhouse - will leave that one to the experts

2. Are “loose” figures, bagged or still on card better/easier to try and collect?

Loosed figures are easier by a mile.

3. What’s a good ‘beginner’ line (read: inexpensive) to try and collect?

If you are referring to 8" vintage Mego, I'd go with WGSH or Star Trek. Lots of volume and various pricepoints. POTA are fun too.

Again, I apologize for the questions you all can probably answer in your sleep by now!

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome aboard:-)

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Hey, Hey, Hey !!!!

First thing, get yourself a Brick Mantooth figure

IMO, the BEST modern-Megoesque figure EVER !!!

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Welcome! I'm not an expert, but I will take a stab at it...

1. It varies. For some common figures, you can get a vintage figure for around the same price as a repro. For something especially rare, like a complete Secret Identity... you can get a repro for thousands less. There is a thread under Auction Watch called The Going Rate which gives some good guidance on pricing based on what the trends are on eBay.

2. Loose figures will be cheaper than the same figures carded. In many cases, there are packaging variations that people like to collect and it adds to its value.

3. I would go with something you love, but World's Greatest Superheroes, Star Trek, and Planet of the Apes are probably the "classics". If you are not a completist, all three have figures that you can get at a reasonable price. I also would recommend considering collecting the modern Mego figures. They are doing a lot of interesting stuff right now too.

Comment

• ActionFigureFan
          • Oct 27, 2020

@Emce, Mikey, Sprytel

I appreciate the replies! As a ST fan, I did get the repros (except for the most recent waves/sets with the dress uniforms and the WoK versions. I’m a huge PotA fan as well, so those vintage figures are on my wish list, along with ST and WGSH as I never had any of those lines originally.

The FTC DC figures look amazing, and I wasn’t sure if I should start with those, and then try to find their vintage ones.

I have seen that Mego is going to produce new Ultraman and DC figures soon, did FTC lose the license to reproduce them?

Do the vintage figures have repro parts/accessories, I’ve noticed a lot of figures on eBay loose, and missing clothings, boots, etc. Should a figure be totally vintage or be a mix of vintage/repro parts?

Are knockoffs something to collect as well? Are they looked at as just as valid as the actual Megos? It’s funny, the more I’m learning about these figure lines, the more daunting it seems!

Again, thanks for the replies and the welcome to the forum, I’ll try to have less questions lol

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

Welcome. those are all personal preferences. collect what you love. there are plenty of places you can get reproduction parts such as gloves and boots. some people collect only vintage, some don't care if there are some repro parts to complete the figure. whatever works for you

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

I’m a huge PotA fan as well, so those vintage figures are on my wish list…
              Welcome to Team Ape City, and I can help you with that.

Comment

• ActionFigureFan
                • Oct 27, 2020

Originally posted by Confessional
                Welcome to Team Ape City, and I can help you with that.
                I might be able to to start my collection soon, are they crazy expensive?

Comment

• ActionFigureFan
                  • Oct 27, 2020

Nostalgiabuff,

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn’t sure if collectors were more interested in vintage only or repros, or a mix of both before I try to start to build my collection. I’d love to collect strictly vintage, but I think the cost might be a bit much for some items.

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

I might be able to to start my collection soon, are they crazy expensive?
                    >> http://megomuseum.com/community/show...-misc-toys-too!

Comment

• shaunaconda
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Mar 29, 2020

It really does depend on what you want and how much funds you have. But I would definitely go with vintage figures first. I did get a few FTC figures, and they are cool, it’s just not what I really want though. So I just started with the least expensive loose vintage WGSH figures I could get, then progressed from there. And at some point may get some vintage carded or boxed figures.
                      I also did the same thing with the Kenner Six Million Dollar Man line.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎