X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Mego "Select Edition"

This is just a thought experiment, not a real thing...

Suppose Mego released a "Select Edition" of each figure. The figure would come on a bandless body with improved articulation. It would have swappable hands, an alternate head, improved/additional clothing and accessories, etc. For example, the ST:WOK Kirk would also include his field jacket, wrist communicator, a head with the Khaaaan! scream, bifocals... more like a Mezco one:12 or similar figure. How interested would you be? Would you buy the $50 "select edition" or the regular "retail" version?
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Emce tried that with marvel and it didn’t get very far.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Z-man 307
      Museum Super Collector
      • Mar 15, 2010

Nah, to me, mego is simple yet great. All that extra stuff makes it an adult collectible rather than a child's toy.

Comment

• pmwasson
        Maker
        • Sep 12, 2007

I'd like it!
        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

I'd like it too!… a well chosen figure or pairing along with accessories that create a mini-playset, or could even outfit other figures in the line-up.

For example, NECA's Halloween 3 Season of the Witch set was brilliant in this way.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I'm uncertain, didn't the two-pack diorama sets falter?
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Rather than that direction, I wouldn't mind seeing them going the crowdfunding/Kickstarter route for some figures that are maybe deeper in lines they have the license for and wouldn't sell enough at the retail level to make viable, but that collector's would go for. It might be a way to get McCoy and Scotty figures out there, maybe a Gandalf for the LOTR line, or stuff like that, with those that want them preordering directly from Mego to help finance the production costs. You could possibly do variants of figures that way as well (McCoy in standard uniform and McCoy in surgical shirt for example). I understand these figures would probably have to sell at a price point higher than the retail releases due to economy of scale, but it might be a way to get some figures that the Mego community seems to want but wouldn't necessarily be viable in the mass market, and limiting it to existing licenses would be a way to manage costs and perhaps increase revenue streams for those licenses.

I have my own mixed feelings on this. I like seeing Mego at retail, and prefer buying it there than preordering and buying online, I like at least the idea of Mego reaching new audiences that way, but on the other hand, the core customer base seems to be collectors who want more from each line than the popular figures that would be viable at retail, and this might be a way for Mego to meet that audience demand without losing money with mass market figures that don't sell. That said, I don't know enough about the logistics or producing Mego figures to know that this is even viable in terms of covering production costs and turning a profit, or finding a place in the production schedule to get them done to fulfill pledges without interrupting the production schedule of the mass market figures, so I am not sure this is a can of worms Mego would even want to consider opening.

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

They should all come on an improved bandless body. That doesn't need to be select. The fact that I have to either restring or swap bodies is still the biggest hinderance that modern Mego has. I feel bad for the poor kids who buy a new Superman and he can barely be posed because the crappy modern bands are too tight.

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  I'm uncertain, didn't the two-pack diorama sets falter?
                  Optimal application "well chosen." I'm thinking something like Son of Frankenstein Monster & Igor with lab accessories, chains and a table. I have to think something like this would sell crazy.
                  Last edited by Confessional; Oct 26, '20, 5:19 PM. Reason: … Full House + cardboard = FAIL!

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 22, 2011

I like the idea of crowd funded / kickstarter for characters that might not be produced for mass market retail. Characters from ST Original Series that some of us have been requesting forever like Chapel, Rand, Vina, Marta, Sarek and Amanda. I would gladly fork over money to help fund characters like these. When Mego started up again I was certainly hoping to see all these by now but I am losing hope every wave that comes out. Love most of what they're doing but I'm not a big fan of multiple variants of the most popular characters.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

IMO, Mego needs to get away from anything Star Trek

People are sick to death of Star Trek

Irwin Allen Classics …. THAT'S THE TICKET !!!

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Maybe I’m bias but Star Trek is a very popular line then and now, we bought them back then to play with, now we buy to display and support mego. People who are sick to death with Star Trek are in the minority, IMO. The problem for me is, less variants and more new characters. Scotty-McCoy-Chapel, Klingon and Andorian would be a nice addition, instead of variants of Kirk and Spock. We got a correct Gorn and I would love to see a correct Talosian and Mugato, I think people would buy those. I also like what mego is doing with TNG, and hopefully we will see the rest of the crew and Klingons and Romulans too.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by TrekStar
                          Maybe I’m bias but Star Trek is a very popular line then and now, we bought them back then to play with, now we buy to display and support mego. People who are sick to death with Star Trek are in the minority, IMO. The problem for me is, less variants and more new characters. Scotty-McCoy-Chapel, Klingon and Andorian would be a nice addition, instead of variants of Kirk and Spock. We got a correct Gorn and I would love to see a correct Talosian and Mugato, I think people would buy those. I also like what mego is doing with TNG, and hopefully we will see the rest of the crew and Klingons and Romulans too.
                          Agree with everything you said, especially for TOS. Thanks,

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
                            I like the idea of crowd funded / kickstarter for characters that might not be produced for mass market retail. Characters from ST Original Series that some of us have been requesting forever like Chapel, Rand, Vina, Marta, Sarek and Amanda. I would gladly fork over money to help fund characters like these. When Mego started up again I was certainly hoping to see all these by now but I am losing hope every wave that comes out. Love most of what they're doing but I'm not a big fan of multiple variants of the most popular characters.
                            I'd be all over this.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
                              IMO, Mego needs to get away from anything Star Trek

People are sick to death of Star Trek

Irwin Allen Classics …. THAT'S THE TICKET !!!
                              Why not Irwin Allen classics and TOS? I'd go for both.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎