Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Mandalorian isn't Matlock. Disney's target demo for the show isn't 60 year olds.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 22, 2011

The Retro Collection should be reserved for Original Trilogy characters. Reissues of figures that were originally released 78-85 and newly created figures in the retro style from those three films. Disney SW no matter what era it's set in is out of place in the Retro Collection.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
        Sure but we are an added bonus not the target demo. Kids that grew up watching the Clone Wars are.
        i disagree with that. we are the target audience. that's why they throw in things like the Kenner troop transport. Favreau gets it because he is our age too

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

No way they would make these if it wasn't for the OG Star Wars collector still out there. We're getting old but 5 points of articulation still gets our blood flowing!
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            i disagree with that. we are the target audience. that's why they throw in things like the Kenner troop transport. Favreau gets it because he is our age too
            I really like the Transformers Cyberverse series and it had lots of nods to the original Transformers series. But the primary intended audience was still kids.

Originally posted by drquest
            No way they would make these if it wasn't for the OG Star Wars collector still out there. We're getting old but 5 points of articulation still gets our blood flowing!
            The SW original trilogy retro Kenner collection is aimed at us. That's probably why Target stocked it in with the Fathers Day stuff. But we are not Disney's primary demo for the Mandalorian. That's why I don't think retro Kenner Mando figures are the best fit for it. I'm not knocking the figures. Again, I think they are nice.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

Sure there will be some 70s kids that will buy them. But how many and that doesn't change that Mandalarian's target demo are people that didn't grow up with 5 POA Kenner figures.
              Like I said, hopefully not very many at all!!
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• alex
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 15, 2009

Up for preorder

Buy Star Wars The Mandalorian The Retro Collection Kenner Action Figures Wave 1 Case of 8 at Entertainment Earth. Mint Condition Guaranteed. FREE SHIPPING on eligible purchases. Shop now!

Comment

• SeattleEd
                  SynthoRes Transmigrator
                  • Oct 24, 2007

Glad to finally see these be made. 5POA figures are quite popular in the toy art scene and for those following there have been some artist making retro Mandalorian 5POA figures since the beginning of this year. Retro SW has been selling out and heading to second markets. These sold out in minutes on Hasbropulse but good to see online stores carrying them at reasonable prices.
                  After seeing what Hasbro has managed to pull together as retro, I still prefer the domestically made indie artists. Prefer to spend my dollars to support artist and great product.
                  Here is a shot of what I've been able to acquire of The Mandolorian from a couple of artists who keep selling out. And yes, these are rubber type plastic like the originals. Durable. The prototypes are hard plastic and were used to make molds.
                  20201027_205127~2.jpg

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

I like the vinyl capes in this retro line. Really brings to mind the aesthetic of the original Kenner SW and ESB waves. (Although by the time the ROTJ range hit, Kenner had switched to cloth capes/cloaks.)
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 1, 2005

I like 'em. I think the fact that they're keeping them to a reasonable price point will help them move off the pegs, perhaps between that and the potential nostalgic appeal it'll have to parents who are doing the actual buying of the toys for the kids (and themselves) will make it a success. I think they're just covering all the bases and marketing the Mandalorian as much as they possibly can, you can get Retro figures, Vintage Collection figures, Black Series figures, etc. until everyone says "ok enough already", lol. I'm good with all of it. Just hoping they will continue in the future to make more of the Retro line of vintage figures like the first two waves, including the new additions like the Tarkin and Snowspeeder Luke. I think they found a winning formula with that, minus the store-exclusivity causing some headaches for some collectors.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Sure but we are an added bonus not the target demo. Kids that grew up watching the Clone Wars are.
                        I absolutely think you're misinformed as to the intentional demographics of this show, it has a broad appeal and isn't targeted to a single youth demographic as you keep insisting.

We're talking about the most in-demand streaming show in the world and I quote from this news article (https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...enjoy-it.html/) that explains it's hyper popularity and who the show was made for:

How many older ‘Star Wars’ fans are there?
                        According to official statistics as of last year, the age bracket between 45 and 54 are the most avid Star Wars fans in America. Since this is about the age of those who saw A New Hope in 1977 as little kids, the numbers make sense.

The next most avid fan demographics are those above 55 and even into 65+. These are the ones who might have seen the first trilogy as parents with their children, or maybe as college-age kids.

Because this represents at least more than half of the fanbase, they’re the ones Lucasfilm has to focus on in keeping a solid audience. No wonder the Disney+ shows are focusing somewhat on nostalgia as they will again with the new Obi-Wan Kenobi series next year.

I would agree that adults my age who watch "Clone Wars' are an added bonus as that was always done as a gateway item to bring young people on board and sell Clone merch. It's done very well and I know for a fact that youth are the main consumers of those product lines.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                          I absolutely think you're misinformed as to the intentional demographics of this show, it has a broad appeal and isn't targeted to a single youth demographic as you keep insisting.
                          I like the retro figures too. I love the Kenner 5 POA style but I'd be surprised of they outsell baby Yodas to kids.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I like the retro figures too. I love the Kenner 5 POA style but I'd be surprised of they outsell baby Yodas to kids.
                            I wouldn't take that bet either because I know a ton of people my age buying them too. Every race has a winner.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SeattleEd
                              SynthoRes Transmigrator
                              • Oct 24, 2007

I wouldn't take that bet either because I know a ton of people my age buying them too. Every race has a winner.
                              Agreed. Every store I've gone to in person that carries Mandalorian merch seems to be sold out. It's been a big hit this year and even some people I know that are not hard core fans are picking up some merch, mainly the Child but a lot of Din Djarin as well.

That quote from Cheatsheet some to be very accurate from my personal observation.

Comment

• Riderfan
                                Megos are cool
                                • Feb 14, 2012

I just pre-ordered a set (despite them being a bit pricey IMO) because they will display nicely with vintage figures of characters that are seen in the show, like storm troopers & Jawas for example.

And next time I visit my parents I'll be looking for my vintage Imperial troop transport, hoping my nephews never got their hands on it.

So yeah this Gen Ex-er is digging these figures

K
                                I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎