X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Every Classic Universal Monster Movie, Ranked

I've heard several reviewers say Bride of Frankenstein is the best Universal monster movie. Is that true?

Discuss-

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I think so, its blend of humor, horror, and pathos is James Whale at his best. He gets amazing performances out of his well-chosen cast.

Years ago here I started a thread where I divided the Uni films into eras by decades and chose BOF as the best of the '30s Laemmle era. And in comparison to the other eras, I think it's the best overall.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 25, '20, 5:08 AM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I have to say, regarding the article, that I'm surprised the silent films (Phantom, Hunchback, and perhaps the Man Who Laughs) were excluded. Chaney's Phantom is iconic IMO.

Interesting top 10, though.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 25, '20, 5:22 AM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Bride or Son are two of the best along with the Karloff Mummy. Son of Frankenstein has those amazing sets and the Monster in a sheepskin tunic. Cast is top notch too, Bela, Basil, Lionel, Boris
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

For me, The Wolfman is #1, hands down. Never tire of watching this every year. Bride is good too, but not a must see each and every year.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Creature from the Black Lagoon. I think it has aged the best.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Son of Frankenstein

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Does Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein count? if it does, then that’s my must see movie to watch every Halloween night.

Also, Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein and Revenge of the CFTBL.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I can't really argue with that numbering, TOO much. I would put Bride and the original Frankenstein back to back. My personal favorite is The Wolf Man, but I understand that in some ways the first two Franks are of more artistic merit. I appreciate The Mummy, but I honestly find it a bit boring when Karloff isn't on screen. I would put Son of Frakenstein a bit higher too, mostly due to Bela's scene-stealing Ygor. And I think Son of Dracula is a more rewatchable film than Dracula's Daugher, personally, but that's me. I would slide A&C Meet Frankenstein up and put Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man above the two "House" films, because despite Karloff in the first of those, they are slipping into really wonky B-movie plots about brain swapping in those. And Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man's first half is a straight up fantastic sequel to The Wolf Man. Only when Bela's forcibly edited monster appears do we start to enter "B" territory. Although I love the "B" films too, of course!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎