Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legends of the Fall: Let There Be Chili!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Legends of the Fall: Let There Be Chili!

Chili is one of my favorite meals during this Season, and this is how I roll:

We start off with a packet of Mr. S's finest (just ingredients, not instructions)

Cube 3 lbs. of well-marbled Beef Chuck.

Salt and Peppered.

Add a small amount of Corn Oil to a Pressure Cooker and start adding the Beef to brown it.

Now that the Beef has been removed, we're going to Deglaze the Cooker with a little help from my favorite Patriot.

Empty the bottle and start scraping.

Add the Beef back.

Enter S Man. First the Seasonings,

then the Chili Sauce.

Chop up some Roasted Hatch Chilis and invite them to the party.

Cover at medium heat until you reach pressure, then reduce heat when you've got a nice "hiss" going. Let that go on for about 25 minutes.

While that's cooking, we start the Cornbread.

I like to use this Jiffy Mix, with some additions.

We'll need another (chopped) Roasted Hatch Chili, Corn and grated Cheddar Cheese (which for some reason failed to make the photo shoot). All gets added to the Cornbread Mix, then it's in to the oven at 400F for 15 - 20 minutes. (If you don't have Hatch Chilis, Chopped Green Onions would work.)

After the 25 minutes, release pressure from the Cooker, remove lid and add Corn (White Kidney Beans are optional if you like Beans in your Chili. I do, but chose not to for this batch. If you want 'em, this is when you add 'em.)

At this point, if you feel you want a thicker Chili, you can make a slurry with equal amounts of Corn Starch (or Masa Flour) and the Chili Sauce and add back to the sauce. Let it boil for a few minutes to thicken.

Cornbread is done.

Time to get the toppings ready for the Chili (I once again disrespected the Cheddar Cheese, but it's there somewhere off camera).

Ready to eat.

Oh, wait...I forgot one last topping.

I call this step "The Palitoy".

Boner Appétit

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

As always, this looks delectable--but I'm curious of what you would use without the Stubb's.

I make middle-of the road Ohioan chili, but good enough to have won a few contests at work--judged by the Fire Dept lol.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      As always, this looks delectable--but I'm curious of what you would use without the Stubb's.

I make middle-of the road Ohioan chili, but good enough to have won a few contests at work--judged by the Fire Dept lol.
      In case S is outta' town, I keep Shelby nearby. My Father-in-Law is a retired Battalion Chief/Fire Marshall and those guys know their Chili, so congrats to you, my friend.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you. I've never used a kit. I have two versions I make: One is all pantry and quick-mart ingredients, the other is more fresh. I always add beans and sometimes corn. I add red wine or beer occasionally. Pretty tame on the peppers--bell and poblano, I only like a little heat.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• mike69
          Museum Super Collector
          • May 4, 2011

That looks delicious but, I got heartburn just looking at it!!!! LOL!

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

I thought you were going straight Colorado, but then you looped back around with some twists. I did not see the avocado or raw onions coming… awesome chili riff!

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Get in my belly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡