X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

RIP Richard Lupoff

Comic historian, writer, and fandom pioneer Richard Lupoff has passed. He was 85.

Lupoff was the co-editor (with Don Thompson of Comic Buyer's Guide fame) of the book All in Color for a Dime, one of the first serious looks at comic book history, and pretty much the starting point for serious comic scholarship.

He also wrote one of the standards about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

and won the 1963 Hugo Award for best fanzine for his Xero zine

He also wrote fiction, including 2 dozen novels and over 40 short stories (he wrote both late 70s Buck Rogers novels, the film adaptation and That Man on Beta under the pen name Addison Steele), but it is his pioneering work in comic scholarship that built his rep and his legacy.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • warlock664
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 15, 2009

I was familiar with his work through a second book on comics he co-authored with Don Thompson, The Comic-Book Book.
    RIP.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

His Master of Adventure book on ERB remains absolutely essential reading.
      I only found out a few years ago that he wrote those two Buck Rogers novels as Addison E. Steele. Loved those.
      R.I.P.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Interesting, I'm unfamiliar. Will try to find his work, esp. on ERB.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• warlock664
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 15, 2009

Expanding on my earlier post: I stumbled upon his and Thompson’s The Comic-Book Book in my high school’s library. It will always have a special place in my heart for introducing me to The Spirit. After reading the chapter on Will Eisner’s masterpiece, I asked for 5 issues of the Warren B&W magazine for Christmas in 1979, based solely on the glowing review given to the series in that book. I was not disappointed.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎