X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

Official Dark Shadows Cane Replica

I received an email yesterday that MPI is offering an "official" replica of the cane used by Barnabas Collins in Dark Shadows for $129.98. While these are not exact replicas, they are pretty decent for the price point. These are intended for display or cosplay and are not designed to bear weight.

They are cast from a mold of the cane that Harvy Canes still offers at a much higher cost, and the handle is made of pewter instead of Alpacca. Notable differences are the collar itself (which has a sleeve that is embossed with the Dark Shadows logo where it attaches to the wood shaft, which is kind of cool for a collectible) and the pewter tip. It also appears that the ears are molded right into the head sculpt, which is different from the Harvy originals and the brass replicas that were offered a few years back from Unique Canes.

It is not stated on the website, but in the email it states that these are limited in quantity to 250 in total.

From the website:

"The Official Dark Shadows Barnabas Cane cast from the original mold! This is the only officially licensed Dark Shadows decorative Barnabas Cane on the market!

Features:
    • Solid pewter handle
    • Solid hardwood cane shaft
    • Embossed Dark Shadows logo
    • 1.5"W x 5.5"D x 36.5"H

This decorative walking stick is not weight bearing and is not intended for orthopedic use."

• RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

I won't be getting the cane. I don't do cosplay, and it's not the type of thing I want just to display. . . BUT I am happy for fans who want it. I'm glad MPI is still making Dark Shadows merchandise. They came out with a Collinwood snow globe a year ago, and a talking Barnabas statue, too.
    I'm still hoping they'll re-release the replica of Josette's music box again. That one sold out fast, and is now worth hundreds on ebay.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

That's very tempting. I have always said if I ever need a cane, I'm getting a repica of the cane from The Wolf Man...but this is a close second...and of course somewhat similar!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Dark Shadow
        Creature Of The Night
        • May 14, 2011

^^ Yes, those music boxes did really go fast, it's amazing what they go for now. I think the canes will do well too, as the Harvy version sells out every year by Fall and they can go anywhere from $400.00 to $700.00 thru various cane retailers and Ebay/Amazon merchants. There are only 2 up on Ebay right now, and they are both pre-orders.

^ I'm tempted too. I have an original Harvy that I bought direct about 25 years ago, and I've only used it occasionally for Halloween and had it on display for several years. I polished it up and packed it away a few years back (for my retirement) when I purchased a brass replica from Unique Canes for display. (They offered a polished brass version and a chrome plated brass version.) I really wanted the chrome plated version too but kept putting it off, then they were discontinued and I missed out.

Fast forward to this summer, I tore my meniscus and am in need of something to assist with balance at times while I'm going through therapy and "on wait" for surgical debridement. I thought about taking out my Harvy, but lucked out and ended up finding a used one on Ebay a few weeks ago. There was no "Dark Shadows", "Wolf" or "Barnabas" in the listing description, simply "silver dogs head". It was listed as a BIN for a little bit more than what these replicas are going for. I made an offer for a little bit less and the seller accepted. It has an issue with one of the eyes, but was otherwise in pretty darn good shape, I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived.

I still would like to have one of these replicas to compliment the polished brass one that I have on display in my hall tree. I guess I'm about as obsessed with this cane as our friend at Analog Toys is with Incredible Hulk action figures.
        Last edited by Dark Shadow; Oct 21, '20, 4:11 PM.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
          Creature Of The Night
          • May 14, 2011

Received another email this morning that states only 100 of these are left (which means they've sold 3/5 of their stock in one week).

Comment

• Dark Shadow
            Creature Of The Night
            • May 14, 2011

Someone listed one of these on Ebay and their listing features better photos of the cane, which inspired me to finally order one yesterday. I just checked on that auction again a few minutes ago, and with nearly five days to go, it's already almost hit $150.00. Looks like this may go the same route as the music boxes did, although I really hope they issue more of these canes to satisfy the many fans who would like to own one but cannot afford the other offering.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Shadows-Barnabas-Replica-Cane-Official-License-Heavy-Alpaca-Wolf-Handle/233765135171?hash=item366d7ce343:g:PJwAAOSwBjBfnIt 1
            Last edited by Dark Shadow; Nov 3, '20, 4:59 PM.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
              Creature Of The Night
              • May 14, 2011

I don't understand why the link works on "Preview Post", but after "Submit Reply" it doesn't. I must be doing something wrong.
              Last edited by Dark Shadow; Nov 3, '20, 5:00 PM.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                Creature Of The Night
                • May 14, 2011

I received The Cane today and wanted to give a review and share some pix.

The upside: The polished pewter (chrome-like) finish on it is beautiful, and the way the ears are molded right into the head gives the handle an overall flawless appearance. As a collectible, I really like the embossed "Dark Shadows" logo along with the "Dan Curtis Productions, Inc." on the collar. It arrived carefully packed (the whole cane was inside a clear plastic sleeve which was covered with another sleeve of small bubble wrap, the handle itself was wrapped in a sheet of larger bubble wrap with several layers of foam-like sheeting taped over that, and it came inside a sturdy shipping box appropriately sized for the item).

The downside: The handle is heavy, heavy, heavy (about 4.5 lbs) and the shaft is very lightweight which makes it completely unbalanced and not the least bit practical for use of any kind (I wouldn't even want to use it for cosplay, way too top heavy making it high risk for dropping or falling over if set aside). Also, the cane does not come in a collector's box or sleeve, which was not expected, but would have been a cool idea.

Overall, this is a great display piece which is reasonably priced (especially considering if it is truly limited to a run of only 250). It will be something that will quickly increase in value and long be sought after by Dark Shadows fans. The one that was listed on Ebay sold for $261.00 over the weekend. I don't see myself ever selling mine, but I'm glad I got it at retail and look forward to displaying it for years to come.

My recommendations:

If you want a great display piece, and are on the fence about this, I encourage you to take the plunge.

If you are looking for a cosplay item, I would advise caution, unless it's something you really really want and don't want to spend over $400 to have one.

If you are looking for a practical use cane, this is not worth the expense. Better to put the $130 toward a genuine Harvy Cane, but shop carefully! When they are available you can find them for around $400-425, even though I have seen them listed as high as $900.

20201109_120455.jpg20201109_120604.jpg20201109_120527.jpg20201109_120655.jpg

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                  Creature Of The Night
                  • May 14, 2011

Attached Files

Comment

• RonnyG
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 23, 2014

Thanks for the great detailed review! It amazes me that people will pay more $$$ for Dark Shadows merchandise on ebay instead of purchasing them cheaper on MPI's website. Not just the cane, but I've seen DS bobbleheads and lunchboxes sell for a great deal more on ebay. I guess they are just unaware that MPI sells them. Of course, once the cane sells out, then they will have no choice but to buy it on ebay.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Yes, thanks for the review. I'm sorry to hear it's not balanced enough for cosplay really, but I'm not sure I would want to take something that nice into a busy convention, either.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                        Creature Of The Night
                        • May 14, 2011

^^My pleasure RonnyG!

I think there are a lot of Dark Shadows fans who are not aware of the MPI website. Like you, over the years I have seen many items sell on Ebay for much more than what the asking price is on their website, including the DVD Coffin Box Set (full series) as well as the 26 individual releases (old & new versions).

^Your welcome Chris!

Me too, I was hoping it was closer in weight to the brass replica I have, but it's not, it's very top heavy. I suppose it could be used for cosplay, but you would have to be very mindful of it, and for me, it would probably be too cumbersome to make it worthwhile.
                        Last edited by Dark Shadow; Nov 9, '20, 8:12 PM.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                          Creature Of The Night
                          • May 14, 2011

In case anybody missed out, MPI has these back in stock!

Comment

• Liu Bei
                            Banned
                            • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by RonnyG
                            I won't be getting the cane. I don't do cosplay, and it's not the type of thing I want just to display. . . BUT I am happy for fans who want it. I'm glad MPI is still making Dark Shadows merchandise. They came out with a Collinwood snow globe a year ago, and a talking Barnabas statue, too.
                            I'm still hoping they'll re-release the replica of Josette's music box again. That one sold out fast, and is now worth hundreds on ebay.
                            Co-sign on Josette’s Music Box. Would be a day one purchase for me.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                              Banned
                              • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                              In case anybody missed out, MPI has these back in stock!

https://www.mpihomevideo.com/product...-barnabas-cane
                              Thank you. Might have to pick one up! Always wanted a Barnabas Collins-style cane.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎