Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help me with a mego-esque custom?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jrfjr126rock
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 23, 2008

Can someone help me with a mego-esque custom?

I have always been the biggest James Bond fan. I have watched all the movies a million times and so its no surprise I loved the Exclusive Premiere figures that came out years ago even though some can be a little wonky.

They ended up making all of my personal favorite villains in the line including Goldfinger, Jaws, OddJob and Dr. No but I always wanted a May Day figure.

I was planning on trying to create her from the Bond Girls line using the less articulated model. Mego clothes fit very nicely on these dolls so I am more worried about painting/dying the body and customizing a head sculpt. How would I go about popping the body open at the seams to see how the head connects without breaking it at the neck?

Any suggestions? I attached references to the type of head connect but also other bases I could use.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Jrfjr126rock; Oct 15, '20, 12:37 PM.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I've never worked with one of these but I might try the plastic/vinyl spray paint you get at Automotive supply stores, the stuff you use on dashboards. You should be able to find a colour that matches Jone's pigment fairly easily.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
      Museum Patron
      • Aug 23, 2019

Are they the same scale? I’m assuming the heads are solid, otherwise you could heat the connection and gently pull it off, the boil and pop method (a hot blow dryer would work, or a cup of kettle heated water). The head is about the right colour. the head has a post so you might consider a BBP figure... I know the Big Bang girls are, they might need restringing. Otherwise cut the neck off of a Mego gal and insert.
      Now I want to buy the Premier figures, I was concerned that they might be 9” scale

Comment

• Doctor Dim
        • May 18, 2017

The Exclusive Premiere figures are smaller than Mego, and pretty solid; they aren't going to just "pop" open. Forget about removing the heads intact, too. If you insist on customizing one, your best bet would be to saw the face off, then sculpt a new one in its place.

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by Doctor Dim
          The Exclusive Premiere figures are smaller than Mego, and pretty solid; they aren't going to just "pop" open. Forget about removing the heads intact, too. If you insist on customizing one, your best bet would be to saw the face off, then sculpt a new one in its place.
          Yeah thats what I was thinking unfortunately. I feel like if I work with the Xena head and body I could use the same sculpt for Grace Jones with some sanding and paint apps.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎