Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally watched Star Trek: Discovery...my thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by enyawd72
    Well, I'm three episodes in.

Geez, where to start. The writing on this series is BAD. Laughably bad. The first episode begins with the single stupidest thing I've ever seen in any Star Trek episode.
    Our heroes are wandering around a desert, waiting to be rescued, and according to THEM, they can't be found with sensors. So the captain decides to leave footprints in the sand in the shape of a giant Starfleet insignia,
    which the ship COULD NOT POSSIBLY SEE. Wait, what? The ship cannot see or detect you visually, but somehow it can see your footprints? Amazing since the ship literally emerges from a sand cloud that totally
    obscures it from view until the last second.

Next are the abominations this series dares to call Klingons. They look and act like a cult of D&D cosplayers. The redesign is not only terrible, it's pointless.
    They no longer LOOK or ACT like act Klingons at all. Why? Just so they could say they changed them. Change just for the sake of change. They've been dumbed down to a single
    personality trait. Angry. They hate everyone and everything for apparently no reason. Also, everything on Discovery is DARK.
    The sets are very dimly lit, claustrophobic and depressing. The interiors of the ships do not reflect the brightness and hopefulness Star Trek is known for.

Which brings us to the rest of Starfleet. Almost everyone is a snarky *******. People constantly talk down to and insult each other, and everyone is just generally sarcastic and nasty to everyone else.
    I can remember many times when Picard gave someone a dressing down, but it was always done in a civil manner, with mutual respect. I really can't stand the lead character Michael. She comes off as an
    arrogant, insufferable know-it-all. TNG did a MUCH better job writing and handling a similar character type in Ro Laren. She had the same attitude, yet was infinitely more likeable and engaging as a character.
    So much for Gene Roddenberry's optimistic future where people get along. What else can I say? It's terrible.
    Perhaps if it weren't called Star Trek, it could pass as moderately entertaining sci-fi with some bad elements to it...mostly the writing, but as Star Trek, it fails miserably.

It is Star Trek in name only and nothing more. If you want to watch REAL Star Trek...it's now called The Orville.
    Unfortunately this is what happens when JarJar Abrams and the Bad Reboot crew get their hands on a franchise. STD creator Alex Klutzman also murdered Universal’s Dark Universe in the womb.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Senqua Martin-Green is a fantastic actor. She stole many scenes on Walking Dead. But Michael is just a poorly created character. Green signed to play a lower deck science officer and that's the life we learn of. We would only see the bridge when her character had to go up there. She was never supposed to be related to Spock or any of that soap opera garbage.

Comment

• Liu Bei
        Banned
        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by hedrap
        Senqua Martin-Green is a fantastic actor. She stole many scenes on Walking Dead. But Michael is just a poorly created character. Green signed to play a lower deck science officer and that's the life we learn of. We would only see the bridge when her character had to go up there. She was never supposed to be related to Spock or any of that soap opera garbage.
        I thought she was terrible on TWD. But then again, beyond the first season, the writing got progressively worse. It wasn’t like she had much to work with.

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

It was said before and that was my take, that it doesn’t have the optimism I like that is usually inherent in Star Trek.

I agree if it wasn’t called Star Trek it might have been something enjoyable to me.

That said, when they rebooted Battlestar Galactica to something darker, I enjoyed that. So maybe it’s because I loved the original Trek and was only so-so about the original BG.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

interesting you mention the optimism and hope. that actually seems to be what they are doing this season. optimism for what the federation stands for, and hope to bring it back for the galaxy and it's people

Comment

• YoungOnce
              Career Member
              • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
              interesting you mention the optimism and hope. that actually seems to be what they are doing this season. optimism for what the federation stands for, and hope to bring it back for the galaxy and it's people
              If so, that’s great. I only watched a few episodes of the first season before I checked out. Maybe it’s a course-correction?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

well it takes any show a season or so to finds itself. but I think in this case they had a course trajectory they were setting, as to the early years of the federation, which they then left for the Pike/Spock years that become the Kirk/Spock years to flesh out. Meanwhile Discovery is 900 years in the future and working to rebuild the collapsed Federation. it took me half of S1 before I was hooked, that being said I still couldn't tell you the names of almost all of the characters

Comment

• ToyTalk
                  Career Member
                  • Mar 25, 2020

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                  well it takes any show a season or so to finds itself. but I think in this case they had a course trajectory they were setting, as to the early years of the federation, which they then left for the Pike/Spock years that become the Kirk/Spock years to flesh out. Meanwhile Discovery is 900 years in the future and working to rebuild the collapsed Federation. it took me half of S1 before I was hooked, that being said I still couldn't tell you the names of almost all of the characters
                  That pretty well nails down my feelings on it as well. The stories are okay and it is enough to keep you watching but I'm yet to get attached to any of the characters. In fact, I can't even tell you the lead character's name without looking it up.
                  Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

having Mego's of the characters will help me remember their names, LOL

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

I'd be onboard if they just didn't use the Star Trek name -- It's no different than the CHiPs movie a few years ago

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

i like it. this season has been really interesting so far. they brought back some mystery and the sense of hope for the future

Comment

• Klosterheim
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 23, 2013

I caught up with watching all the new Star Trek: Discovery Episodes.

I noticed online that Strange New Worlds has started production.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

I couldn’t take Discovery season 3, I tried and I tried...but finally bailed on episode three or four, don’t remember. Maybe I’ll give it another shot in the near future.

Liked Picard though, it was not perfect, but it was more grounded in Star Trek canon.

I’m looking forward to Strange New Worlds.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                              I'd be onboard if they just didn't use the Star Trek name -- It's no different than the CHiPs movie a few years ago
                              That’s how I see Discovery, as an alternate Universe Trek...nothing to do with our beloved Kirk and Picard world.

If you go with that mindset, Discovery is not bad.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎