Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally watched Star Trek: Discovery...my thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Finally watched Star Trek: Discovery...my thoughts.

Well, I'm three episodes in.

Geez, where to start. The writing on this series is BAD. Laughably bad. The first episode begins with the single stupidest thing I've ever seen in any Star Trek episode.
    Our heroes are wandering around a desert, waiting to be rescued, and according to THEM, they can't be found with sensors. So the captain decides to leave footprints in the sand in the shape of a giant Starfleet insignia,
    which the ship COULD NOT POSSIBLY SEE. Wait, what? The ship cannot see or detect you visually, but somehow it can see your footprints? Amazing since the ship literally emerges from a sand cloud that totally
    obscures it from view until the last second.

Next are the abominations this series dares to call Klingons. They look and act like a cult of D&D cosplayers. The redesign is not only terrible, it's pointless.
    They no longer LOOK or ACT like act Klingons at all. Why? Just so they could say they changed them. Change just for the sake of change. They've been dumbed down to a single
    personality trait. Angry. They hate everyone and everything for apparently no reason. Also, everything on Discovery is DARK.
    The sets are very dimly lit, claustrophobic and depressing. The interiors of the ships do not reflect the brightness and hopefulness Star Trek is known for.

Which brings us to the rest of Starfleet. Almost everyone is a snarky *******. People constantly talk down to and insult each other, and everyone is just generally sarcastic and nasty to everyone else.
    I can remember many times when Picard gave someone a dressing down, but it was always done in a civil manner, with mutual respect. I really can't stand the lead character Michael. She comes off as an
    arrogant, insufferable know-it-all. TNG did a MUCH better job writing and handling a similar character type in Ro Laren. She had the same attitude, yet was infinitely more likeable and engaging as a character.
    So much for Gene Roddenberry's optimistic future where people get along. What else can I say? It's terrible.
    Perhaps if it weren't called Star Trek, it could pass as moderately entertaining sci-fi with some bad elements to it...mostly the writing, but as Star Trek, it fails miserably.

It is Star Trek in name only and nothing more. If you want to watch REAL Star Trek...it's now called The Orville.
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

hang in there. a lot of what you mention does evolve and get explained. including the Klingons. the first season was okay, but S2 really takes it up a notch.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I guess I can see what you mean about The Orville, but I don't like the tone of it either and McFarland ruins it for me. I have not seen Discovery.

The first season of TNG was pretty uneven, too. Not many series can begin as strongly as TOS.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

Once they introduce Pike, and eventually Spock, the show really picks up steam

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I am actually thinking I will pay for the service since S3 starts this week. of course without Pike and Spock it will be different. Interested to see where they do go with it though

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Never seen the show and don't plan too

Star Trek hasn't been Star Trek since the next Gen TV series

All this new crap is (including movies) are knock-off made-in-China products of very questionable quality

They look right at first glance, but when look closer you can see they're just cheap knockoffs

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

I’m three episode in as well...and I’m actually liking it.

It’s finally showing for free in my area. First season, every Friday night in one of my local channels.

Is it Gene Roddenberry’s Star Trek? Of course not, not by a long shot, not even the same universe.

But if you watch it as an alternate universe, sort of like Mirror, Mirror, then it’s fine.

That’s how I’m watching it, with that mentality.

It’s really not going to kill ya...
              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                hang in there. a lot of what you mention does evolve and get explained. including the Klingons. the first season was okay, but S2 really takes it up a notch.
                What I’m really impressed with are the special-effects, they are really top notch.

One thing I really don’t like are the look of the Klingons. Man, they made them so friggin ugly-looking, lol...
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Yes, Starfleet, the crew, Michael, and company, everyone, even the Vulcans...they sure don’t act proper like Federation folks do, but again, this is an alternate universe to me, that’s why I don’t pay attention to all that...it’s a different world...it doesn’t bother me with that mindset...

Yes, it’s not Gene Roddenberry Trek. I agree, The Orville is more traditional Trek.

But once again, ALTERNATE UNIVERSE TREK...that’s how I now personally view it.

So I’m fine with it.

I kinda like it that it’s so different. I mean, why rehash the same thing over and over again?

Now that Amazon The Boys has shown its entire season 2 on Fridays...Discovery is a nice replacement for now.
                  Last edited by Hector; Oct 11, '20, 4:30 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    I am actually thinking I will pay for the service since S3 starts this week. of course without Pike and Spock it will be different. Interested to see where they do go with it though
                    Yes, exactly. Strange New Worlds is definitely going to be a more traditional Star Trek series.

Starting with their uniforms...

Looking forward to that one...
                    sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

I say it's pure garbage!

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I tapped out after about three shows, to be fair, I don't even like TNG, so it was an uphill climb to begin with.

The Klingon redesign didn't bother me other than the fact that the actors can barely speak in their get ups, my major problem was not liking Michael. I've heard it improves and most shows these days need 7 episodes to get going so maybe i cut too early.

I will say however, when I read some of the outrageous vitriol lobbed against it online, it makes me want to defend it for some reason.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

actually, by the end of S2, the Klingons look more like traditional Klingons, or at least the movie/TNG version and it is explained why the change in appearance. Michael takes a while to get used to but I did like her by the end of the first season. give it a shot at least through the season and see if your opinion changes

Comment

• Klosterheim
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 23, 2013

I have become used to the new Star Trek shows.

I'll continue to watch them. (especially Lower Decks, I think the people making the animated series watched a few episodes of Star Trek, there are good things in it, that are not just random things thrown in)

That said, I feel Star Trek V: The Final Frontier gets better every year.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

i watched one episode of Lower Decks. it's just not for me.

S3 of Discovery started. first episode has me very intrigued with where they will go with it. set 900 years ahead of season 2, Federation has fallen. I am figuring the show will now be about trying to resurrect the UFP

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎