X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I Finally Read 'Plant of the Apes'

After hearing so much from you guys about the original novel, I decided to pick up a $1 copy and check it out.

***SPOILERS*******SPOILERS*******SPOILERS*******SP OILERS*******SPOILERS*******SPOILERS*******SPOILER S****

I know it was different from the movie, but I didn't really know it was almost completely different! I love the movie, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It's even hard to compare one vs the other because they are so different. Some aspects of the book's version were better but I prefer the idea that the POTA was actually the Earth in the future to the idea that a similar planet went through a man-to-ape transition. And while I liked the reveal that the Earth had made a similar simian transition while Ulysee was away, I felt the reveal was stronger in the movie. The baser me wouldn't mind seeing Linda Harrison wearing the same outfit as the book's Nova. Obviously, that's not possible.

And, believe it or not, this is the first sci fi book I've ever read. Well, unless you count Matthew Looney and the Space Pirates. I read that in second grade.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

The baser me wouldn't mind seeing Linda Harrison wearing the same outfit as the book's Nova. Obviously, that's not possible.
    Indeed!

(And I had a similar thought regarding the Dejah Thoris outfit in the original ERB "Mars" books vs the film adaptation!)
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

I like the book, but love the movie. For me, the movie blows the book out of the water.

Still, the book isn't a bad read, and nowadays, I think a more straightforward adaption of the book to film could possibly be a good movie if done right. Things that Rod Serling envisioned in his early scripts could be done now, at a comparatively lower price than what they would have been in the 60s, due to film makers having CGI now. I don't think such a film will ever/would ever happen though and that may be just as well.
      Last edited by apes3978; Oct 12, '20, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎