X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by sprytel
    The tradeoff would be the custom tooling. Even if you used the "child body", Frodo would require custom feet. Smeagol would probably require an entirely new body to do him right. I assume that is why they started with Aragorn and Legolas.
    Just use the ape feet from the Mugatu and the werewolf. Or use 8 inch size feet on the child body
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
      Well, that may be the case in your one store but I know on a national level, those characters have had replenishment orders and have sold quite well, unlike the LOTR.

Khan and Kirk were in the first assortment, then the second assortment included Khan, Kirk and Spock.
      when I was looking for a Kirk they had none now they have plenty so it must be a restock. Of course its right after I found a Kirk head.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Spyweb007
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 18, 2006

I hope Lord of the Rings sells well enough to get more characters, Aragorn and Legolas are much nicer looking out of the package than they appear on the pegs, very well done figures.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
          Career Member
          • Jul 23, 2019

What we really need is a Danny DeVito Mego.
          "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by TheVintageToyKid
            What we really need is a Danny DeVito Mego.
            I was hoping for new mego Taxi characters, when they were doing their sitcom sets.

Comment

• Avenging Robot
              • Jun 1, 2012

I would like Mego to complete a set or two before going out on new licenses. Lots of empty spots remain on the Star Trek TOS, Mirror Mirror, WOK and TNG. Backfilling those first would be appreciated, doing 1 - 3 characters and moving onto something else I find a little concerning. Expansion is also possible in some of the horror licenses as well.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

I kind of think the idea of a “line” of figures is passé. I don’t think it’s in Megos best interest to commit to even so few as 4 figures without knowing if there is an audience for them. The only true way to find out is to test the waters. It’s the same model Neca is using.

Right now, Mego is looking to do whatever will sell. If Cheers had sold like gangbusters, we would be seeing Harry the Hat and Nick Tortelli figures. While the consumer makes decisions based on emotions, Mego has to make decisions based on the bottom line.

Neca released two clothed POTA figures and that’s it because they didn’t hit their numbers. If Mego were to commit to a five figure line and it stiffs, they lose a lot of money. Doing a figure or two at a time, they can course correct if need be.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I understand the expectations that we'd get waves of characters because that's classic Mego, in the same way that everyone expected that they'd open with Marvel and Star Wars.

The new Mego isn't a goliath with an office in the Toy Building, it's a smaller affair and they need to walk before they run. They've been given a window and hopefully it gets bigger.

Their new methodology is similar to Funko pops, you get a wave with a mix of different characters. People vote with their dollars and whatever flies (monsters, star trek) returns it seems.

I totally understand that this also leads to people not supporting lines because they worry they won't finish, it's the one drawback of this approach but yeah, releasing the entire fellowship on the same token would have probably been a disaster. I really don't have a better solution.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

That is a catch-22. The consumer looks at a release of only two figures of a certain property and doesn’t start collecting them because there might not be more. Mego then sees low numbers and decides not to continue with the property and therefore doesn’t make more.

Would it work to announce a line of six figures in advance and saying they’re going to release two in the next wave and if it sells they’ll make more and if it doesn’t it ends? Would the typical consumer in Wal-Mart even be aware this was a thing? Mego would still have to invest in prototypes that might not go anywhere. I don’t know if it makes any sense, I’m just spitballing!! Haha!

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

I’ll be disappointed if no more LOTR figures come out, mostly because I wouldn’t have bought Legolas or Aragorn if I had known. Having said that, I helped support Mego in its new beginning so I can live with that.

Similarly, I would have loved more Cheers Megos, but just customized the rest of the gang. Would still like to do Frazier and Harry the Hat.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                        Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                        • Mar 15, 2008

BBTS still has Gandalf listed for October - fingers crossed it happens.
                        "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                          Career Member
                          • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                          Would it work to announce a line of six figures in advance and saying they’re going to release two in the next wave and if it sells they’ll make more and if it doesn’t it ends? Would the typical consumer in Wal-Mart even be aware this was a thing? Mego would still have to invest in prototypes that might not go anywhere. I don’t know if it makes any sense, I’m just spitballing!! Haha!
                          It worked well for EMCE whith the Universal Monsters, but they had Diamond/DST as a partner and a TRU commitment. But that's exactly what they did, announcing two charaters per year with a three year plan which succeded well enough to stretch to four. And year one featured both year one and two on the cards, I believe, and they noted wave two was a year away.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
                            It worked well for EMCE whith the Universal Monsters, but they had Diamond/DST as a partner and a TRU commitment. But that's exactly what they did, announcing two charaters per year with a three year plan which succeded well enough to stretch to four. And year one featured both year one and two on the cards, I believe, and they noted wave two was a year away.
                            But they never said they would only produce two and not more if they didn’t sell.

Comment

• Avenging Robot
                              • Jun 1, 2012

I get what everyone is saying and understand that Mego needs to be careful but Star Trek does sell, so why not backfill some missing characters?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎