Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone remember the Super Friends "next week" previews?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaniellePlaysWithToys
    Youngest Mego Fan
    • Aug 30, 2019

Does anyone remember the Super Friends "next week" previews?

You know, "This is Superman. Tune in next week..."

I was reading an interview with a guy who worked on the second and third seasons, and he mentioned he audio-taped the first seasons, including those previews, "that don't exist anymore." (He died in 2018, so I can't ask him.)

As a connoisseur of lost media (I'm trying to find Toonami's old "Trapped in Hyperspace" game and got a beta version of the training stage e-mailed to me by the developer of the game, who will HOPEFULLY look on old CDs at his parents' house - it's been 3 years and he never did!), I'm intrigued by these previews and I'm hoping a 16mm print of one of the first season episodes makes its way onto MySpleen (they do have B&W prints of The Fantastic Four 1967 and The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure) so I can see if they really don't exist anymore. I decided to ask you guys if you remember these previews, because you were probably around for the original run.

Time for me to go. Black VULCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
    FTC apologist, Hawkman stan, and Cybatom shipper.
  • glimpy
    Loco Chango
    • Feb 5, 2012

I don't remember seeing any. However I do have every episode including superfriends shorts I'll take a look.
    sigpic

Comment

• DaniellePlaysWithToys
      Youngest Mego Fan
      • Aug 30, 2019

Originally posted by glimpy
      I don't remember seeing any. However I do have every episode including superfriends shorts I'll take a look.
      They cut them out of the later re-runs.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I have vague recollections of them, but I didn't realize until this post I hadn't seen any of them since (probably) their first airings.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Like Chris, I have a vague memory, but now I'm not sure if it's a real memory or one I Mandela'd after seeing this post.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• DaniellePlaysWithToys
            Youngest Mego Fan
            • Aug 30, 2019

Chris and Wee67, can you describe your vague memories?

Comment

• filmation batman fan
              The Man of Many Voices
              • Aug 30, 2005

As the author of the Ultimate SuperFriends Companion books, I definitely remember the next week's episode trailers on the All New SuperFriends Hour from 1977 and thankfully, they were found and restored to the DVD releases. As for the original 1973 series, I've never heard all of them, but I am aware of some of them. When I originally had some episodes on 16mm, back in the 90's, I remember hearing next week's episode trailers that were narrated by Superman, Robin, Aquaman and Marvin. But I haven't heard all of them. When the original series released volume 2, I heard Batman narrating the Fantastic Frerps episode promo. I think Robin narrated the Menace of the White Dwarf and we also heard Casey Kasem laugh as Raven. I've heard Superman narrate the Ultra Beam and the Mysterious Moles and I heard Aquaman narrate The Watermen and Superman narrated the Power Pirate. But I haven't heard any promos narrated by Wonder Woman or Wendy. But I'm sure there were some. But I fear those next week promos are lost as well as the original intro to Filmation's the Batman/Superman Hour. I would give anything to see that intro.

Comment

• DaniellePlaysWithToys
                Youngest Mego Fan
                • Aug 30, 2019

The audio for the Batman/Superman Hour intro was heard in the Sesame Street segment with Batman demonstrating up, down, and around. Maybe a 16mm of the show will release to MySpleen one day and we can see the intro.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Chris and Wee67, can you describe your vague memories?
                  Sorry, they are VERY vague, as I you mentioning them rang a bell, but I hadn't thought of them in 40 years. And I may be mixing in some of the things filmation batman fan mentioned from the DVD as well. Again, sorry for not being more helpful.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎