X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

When Nostalgia Beats Out Taste

Are there things you really enjoy mainly for nostalgic reasons even though they generally run counter to your normal tastes. For the most part, I do not enjoy country or folk music, yet I love John Denver. If I'm honest, its just because I grew up hearing his music on variety shows in the 70s. I've been strapping on a bib and eating up episodes of The Powers of Matthew Star even though its pretty bad. I think I'm enjoying high school in the 80s again. These things are like a beat-up, dirty old blanket that keeps you warm despite its holes, cat hair and faded pattern. Or like that friend you've known since 2nd grade. Yeah, you have little in common anymore and he's even a little ******-y, but he's our ******. Are things you probably wouldn't like if it weren't for nostalgia?

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

It's not so much that I enjoy things for nostalgia's sake, it's that I've not "progressed" a lot in my pop-cultural preferences. As for taste, I've always thought mine was good lol. There's no disputing taste.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 30, '20, 2:53 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Folk music really isn't my thing but I have no problem with John Denver. He is a talented performer. So it's not just your nostalgia. Nothing to feel guilty about.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        It's not so much that I enjoy things for nostalgia's sake, it's that I've not "progressed" a lot in my pop-cultural preferences. As for taste, I've always thought mine was good lol. There's no disputing taste.
        LOL, yeah, sometimes, I think my musical tastes got stuck during my deep dive into underground music in the 80s. AND I have to stop making Deney Terio-centric jokes. No one gets them anymore!.

Originally posted by Werewolf
        Folk music really isn't my thing but I have no problem with John Denver. He is a talented performer. So it's not just your nostalgia. Nothing to feel guilty about.
        No guilt. I love my love for John Denver. I just know he kind of sticks out from my usual tastes. Maybe I'm just open-minded I think he's just that warm blanket I like to wrap myself up in.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

It's not only nostalgia for me. I just have certain tastes.

There's plenty of pop cultural stuff from the 70s and 80s that didn't click with me at all. Like disco and the urban cowboy fads. I don't get it. But I'm still lucky enough that I grew up an era were a lot of pop culture converged with my tastes. Since I was small I've loved fantasy stories and imagery. Castles, wizards, dragons and unicorns. It's kind of my thing. My favorite Fisher Price Little People set was the castle. I adored that pink dragon. So was lucky I grew up in an era with a resurgence of Tolkien style fantasy and the birth of Dungeons and Dragons and RPGs. So I don't still like D&D or MOTU just out of nostalgia. Then and now it just hits everything right for me.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Denver was GREAT !!!

I also love Bread, America and pre-Grease Olivia Newton John

Comment

• J.B.
              Guild Navigator
              • Jun 23, 2010

Nostalgic memories of Denver with Kermit and this absolutely beautiful song.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                To Fear is Not Logical...
                • Feb 17, 2008

I like John Denver, too. But generally not folk stuff. Lawrence Welk is one of those that I stop and watch if I still find it while channel surfing...not much these days...because my grandma used to watch it so much.
                It's all good!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I still like John Denver, even though I'm not much of a folk guy either. He straddles country and pop enough for me. My Mom was a big fan, and his Christmas album and TV special with the Muppets was seminal in my young Christmas experiences.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

I'm with you. I don't really like country music either but I do like John Denver. I even have kind of learned to appreciate Willy Nelson. it's kind of nostalgia for a simpler time in my life, growing up in the 70's

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

"Annie's Song" is a masterpiece. For someone else, it may come off as schmaltz... but Denver is so sincere, it just works.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

Nothing wrong with liking John Denver. I like "Some Days Are Diamonds" myself.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 1, 2005

John Denver was awesome, I still listen to him occasionally. His holiday specials with the Muppets was a big hit with me as a kid

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                            Permanent Member
                            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Wee67
                            Are there things you really enjoy mainly for nostalgic reasons even though they generally run counter to your normal tastes. For the most part, I do not enjoy country or folk music, yet I love John Denver. If I'm honest, its just because I grew up hearing his music on variety shows in the 70s. I've been strapping on a bib and eating up episodes of The Powers of Matthew Star even though its pretty bad. I think I'm enjoying high school in the 80s again. These things are like a beat-up, dirty old blanket that keeps you warm despite its holes, cat hair and faded pattern. Or like that friend you've known since 2nd grade. Yeah, you have little in common anymore and he's even a little ******-y, but he's our ******. Are things you probably wouldn't like if it weren't for nostalgia?

Funny story about John Denver. Growing up a Jehovah's Witness he was public enemy #1. The legend goes he was very pro military and didn't like that Witnesses didn't stand for the national anthem. And he told Witnesses to leave his concert.

Its funny in retrospect that it wasn't KISS, Ozzy, or Alice Cooper that was the most hated Anti-Christ it was John *Freaking* Denver.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                              Funny story about John Denver. Growing up a Jehovah's Witness he was public enemy #1. The legend goes he was very pro military and didn't like that Witnesses didn't stand for the national anthem. And he told Witnesses to leave his concert.

Its funny in retrospect that it wasn't KISS, Ozzy, or Alice Cooper that was the most hated Anti-Christ it was John *Freaking* Denver.
                              It makes for a good story, but just an urban legend.

Famous musician orders all audience members of a particular religious or national group to leave his concert.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎