X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1977 Gabriel Lone Ranger Catalog

The Lone Ranger toyline is easily one of the nicest action figure lines of the 1970s if not all time and Gabriel Toys had some real long-running success with it. This 1977 Catalog is the third year for the line and shows that it was still going strong, Gabriel put a lot of effort into […]

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I love this line, I would dive deep into it had I the funds. It's a shame the figures age poorly, but they're beautiful and oh, the accessories! That 4-in-1 one wagon is terrific and great outfit sets, too. I never tireof looking at these and year three seems a peak. Thanks.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

I love that toy line. I have a very vivid memory of receiving my Lone Ranger and Silver right before I turned 6 years old.

I was always confused by Dan Reid's horse being named "Banjo" for this line after seeing "A Christmas Story".

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I was always a bit jealous of kids who had the horses, I only had a late-issue (reissue?) Lone Ranger.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 24, '20, 12:28 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
          Veteran Member
          • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I love this line, I would dive deep into it had I the funds. It's a shame the figures age poorly, but they're beautiful and oh, the accessories! .
          It is an interesting line to look for on eBay. There is usually 20 plus pages of items from North America. It is like a treasure hunt to find good items. I’m not sure if they age poorly or if they just got played with hard. Tough to find a non-faded ranger outfit for sure. I’m on the look out for a Silver that doesn’t have terrible glue stains where it’s put together and also without melt marks from the saddle. I guess I am basically looking for a new one.

Comment

• rykerw1701
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 27, 2007

I came across a box with my Lone Ranger stuff in it the past weekend. It's like a lot of stuff I have, I wondered why I didn't display it, and then if I did, where would I put it? So back in the box it all went. It is a great line. And I agree, getting stuff in nice shape is hard. I think the line was played with with a lot of zest, like the 12 inch GI Joe. There's just more Joe stuff out there in comparison.

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

I went to Puerto Rico in1976, and I remember seeing Silver for sale at the pharmacy. I didn’t ask my dad to get it for me, because I knew that he would cry poor mouth and say no.
              JediJaida

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I got the Lone Ranger/Silver and Tonto/Scout sets when they were reissued with The Legend of the Lone Ranger film. I still have my childhood horses, and have manged to get a better Ranger (with box) Tonto, Dan and Butch (also with box). I have them on display in a display case that belonged to my grandparents, since they gave me those childhood figures at Christmas 39 years ago.

I do feel like this line is one of, if not the nicest, action figure lines ever created for play by children.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 15, 2012

I don’t have a huge collection of LR. It’s not a big line anyway. But this is one where I have more than I need. I got some replacement bodies and some better accessories. But I also fixed my original figures. That leaves me torn. Don’t want to sell the originals but the others I got are so nice. Same with the horses. My silver has bad glue stains. Bought another but can’t part with original. I have been able to get some great deals on parts and boxes for these. Good to search for Long Ranger. Sometimes people goof up the name. Got nice LR and Tonto boxes that way for $25 for the pair.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

Gabriel Lone Ranger figures are just beautiful, always love seeing these.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Dan Reid's sculpt seems similar to Johnny West's son Jay

Comment

• RonnyG
                        Career Member
                        • Apr 23, 2014

I only had Tonto's horse, Scout. I loved that he was articulated and you could pose him, and make him rear up on two legs--unlike the Breyer "statue" horses.

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Makernaut
                          I was always confused by Dan Reid's horse being named "Banjo" for this line after seeing "A Christmas Story".
                          Yeah, Gabriel kind of dropped the ball on that one. As you probably know, Dan Reid's horse was named Victor, and he was Silver's son: A spitting image of him, so not a Palamino pony like this line indicates.

Comment

• apes3978
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            I got the Lone Ranger/Silver and Tonto/Scout sets when they were reissued with The Legend of the Lone Ranger film.
                            I remember seeing The Lone Ranger/Silver sets at that time, but I have no recollection of ever seeing the Tonto/Scout reissue set.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Was '77 the last year for theline? I was reveiwing releases online and the breadth of quality output on this line was amazing!

On a related note, Gabriel Toys doesn't even have a wiki listing.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎