X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
    I've thought about doing this but never could find my niche.
    I just had an image of the Mona Lisa with a Palitoy Sleestak peering over shoulder. It was only determined to NOT be an original Da Vinci defaced when art experts realized it had been painted on black velvet.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Wee67
      I hope the artist who sculpted the Mego Jordache guy's head isn't too upset with me adding some sculpey and turning him into Dr Strange!
      I have no problem with people customizing mass produced toys. Sculpting over the original sculpts and prototypes would tick me off to no end though.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
        Think about all the famous artists whose work wasn't appreciated until after their deaths. Imagine if someone had defaced their work when it was considered worthless.
        Imagine it getting tossed in a dumpster because it never sold at the thrift shop. That is infinitely more likely than the painting someday being viewed as a "lost masterpiece" and making its way to the Louvre. I'd rather have my work inspire someone else to remix it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

What gives "art" value? Is it the creation of it, the viewing of it, or the sale of it? Is "fine art" more valuable than illustration? What is art versus craftsmanship? Are bespoke or handcrafted items intrinsically better than mass-produced ones? Is pastiche or collaborative work less "pure" as art?

Even an "appreciated" artwork may be handled poorly, framed or lit badly, restored--should that even be allowed?--clumsily. It may change in value or appreciation as tastes change. Art is not just self-expression--in most cases art results in a thing, and things age and are subject to all sorts of external forces.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• alex
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 15, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
            This may sound odd, but as an artist myself, if those are original paintings, I kind of take offense at an artist who defaces the work of other artists.

Not cool IMO.
            I can totally see your point of view, but those paintings themselves are plain horrid, and the add ons make them even look worse lol.... This is a silly gimmick, I cant even imagine where I would hang something like this, imagine getting it as a present because they knew U where into Star Wars
            Last edited by alex; Sep 21, '20, 2:56 PM.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
              Hey, I have experience with that too!!

I get paid when I turn in a sculpt and whatever happens after that happens. A bunch of you all goofed up my Cliff sculpt BTW!! Haha, I say go for it!
              I was thinking of you when I made that Jordache joke.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎