• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by sprytel
    Off the top of my head:
    1. You could do a shoulder piece and have the sleeves sew into it. It actually wouldn't add any bulk, and would be more "accurate", but it would require additional pieces/sewing.
    2. You could sew with 2 colors of thread. Again, more work... but certainly doable.
    3. You could do a one-cut style bodysuit pattern. I actually don't see the downside in this one.

Thread seems to "pop" more in photos... so I suspect these are less pronounced in person.
    Some points, but each with some problems. Sewing the sleeves into the shoulders might be doable, but it depends on where the seam winds up on the arm. It doesn't have to be tight like a hero costume, so that might be passable. Two colors of thread is going to be very hard to do right in mass production, and you run a risk of a gap from one color to the other that could run with th wrong kind of material. Where the colors meet is going to be tricky. One cut could work better, but your still going to have places where the thread is going to be the wrong color. If it's on the sides and inside the sleeves, though, it might not be quite as obvious.

And, as you say, it might not be quite so obvious to the naked eye. Photos are often unforgiving.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by scott metzger
      One cut could work better, but your still going to have places where the thread is going to be the wrong color. If it's on the sides and inside the sleeves, though, it might not be quite as obvious.
      Ah yeah, good point. I was just thinking about the sleeves (which would be a solid color if you were sewing through the armpit)... but if you used thread with color, it would give you a color line running down the black sides.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by scott metzger
        The only alternative would have been to make the black shoulder part a separate piece stitched to the red/yellow, and at that point on the body, it would have been pretty bulky at this scale and with this material, especially so close to the collar. Plus, more sewing their likely means higher cost.The color stitching does stick out on the black, but I don't see a way to avoid it. Black thread would look almost as bad on the underside of the arms. I'll likely take a little dab of black paint to the stitches, but I'm not really sure how they could have avoided something awkward there.
        weren't the prototypes done like that? Seemed like they looked way better than these uniforms.
        yup they were as shown at toyfair, looks way better than what came out. probably cost cutting measures with the two cloth colors and plastic communicators.
        Last edited by thunderbolt; Sep 21, '20, 5:33 PM.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Spyweb007
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 18, 2006

I think they look good, not perfect but I will be glad to ad them to my collection. The colors are nice and vibrant, and the com badge won't come off and get lost this way. Data is especially nice and I hope we get more characters from the show.

Comment

• Spectator
            Museum Patron
            • Feb 4, 2019

Originally posted by thunderbolt
            This makes me sad, it looks so much better.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
              To Fear is Not Logical...
              • Feb 17, 2008

My wife gave me these as a gift. The Picard sculpt looks more like Patrick Stewart in person, than in the photos. Data looks so much like Brent Spiner it is almost like a mini-life mask. These fit in so well with the original Star Trek Megos, so the kid in me is very happy with them both. No combadge to lose is a plus.
              It's all good!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎