X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mego Mint Off Card: Picard and Data from Star Trek TNG

Another Wave 8 review, this time it’s from Mego Star Trek the Next generation. Also, we’re giving a carded figure of your choice away, details in the video itself! Join MegoMania, the largest Mego collector FB Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/megomania/

More...
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

The toilet people disliked this one before it even launched, if you give it a like, I will send you a coupon for one hug.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• headache
      • Jul 11, 2019

I had hoped the Picard face would be improved. I wonder why that is? The Data figure is very good at getting the face of Brent Spiner. But that Picard looks nothing like Patrick Stewart. Does Mego have to get permission from the actor to do a good likeness?

But then there's the Kirks. The green-shirt Kirk doesn't look like William Shatner. The older Admiral Kirk does! The Spocks are good takes on Leonard Nemoy though. All IMO, of course.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

I think the only disappointment in Picard was that the prototype sculpt looked better. I don't know if they went with an alternate version or if it altered a bit when rotocast in vinyl... but something is different. Still, I think t is still every bit as good or better as the EMCE version or the Playmates sculpt.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

The prototype and the production sculpt are the same, and there’s a number of factors at play here that I can’t divulge, but I’ll say this: hollow pvc warps and softens and sometimes it ends up looking about the same as the original sculpt and sometimes it doesn’t.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• phil
            Persistent Member
            • May 11, 2007

I am not a huge TNG fan but I was happy to get these. I think Picard looks better in person.

Comment

• wise guy
              Career Member
              • Dec 29, 2014

These look really good to me , Picard just looks mad. I am just not sure how these will sell better than Scotty ,and McCoy, but I am not into TNG

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

^That's what I was thinking--very serious/stern, slightly older Stewart. Looks fine to me. I'm wanting more ST: TOS too, but IMO these are well-done and had they appeared in the '90s, I'd have been ecstatic.

And unrelatedly, toilet people should be...flushed.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 20, '20, 10:06 AM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Well to me Picard looks like he’s ready to kick some butt, which was not the actual case, probably a more average look would have been better, Picard was never a kick butt Captain unlike Kirk. I really like Data sculpt, it’s pretty much spot on, and I’ll probably pick him up at some point.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

I just don't care for the printed suits, the shoulders look like they were sewn by Dr. Frankenstein.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Spectator
                      Museum Patron
                      • Feb 4, 2019

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      I just don't care for the printed suits
                      That's the issue for me, too.

Comment

• scott metzger
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        I just don't care for the printed suits, the shoulders look like they were sewn by Dr. Frankenstein.
                        The only alternative would have been to make the black shoulder part a separate piece stitched to the red/yellow, and at that point on the body, it would have been pretty bulky at this scale and with this material, especially so close to the collar. Plus, more sewing their likely means higher cost.The color stitching does stick out on the black, but I don't see a way to avoid it. Black thread would look almost as bad on the underside of the arms. I'll likely take a little dab of black paint to the stitches, but I'm not really sure how they could have avoided something awkward there.

Comment

• alex
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jun 15, 2009

I havent got mine in hand yet, the sewn sleeves on Data look poorly done. I hope they finish off lines of characters, rather than a couple here or there. Saying that, I dont know if I want the full crew, Im sure if they came out , the completist in me would buy them.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by scott metzger
                            The only alternative would have been to make the black shoulder part a separate piece stitched to the red/yellow, and at that point on the body, it would have been pretty bulky at this scale and with this material, especially so close to the collar. Plus, more sewing their likely means higher cost.The color stitching does stick out on the black, but I don't see a way to avoid it. Black thread would look almost as bad on the underside of the arms. I'll likely take a little dab of black paint to the stitches, but I'm not really sure how they could have avoided something awkward there.
                            This. Careful application of a black laundry or fabric marker will make this look much better.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by scott metzger
                              The only alternative would have been to make the black shoulder part a separate piece stitched to the red/yellow, and at that point on the body, it would have been pretty bulky at this scale and with this material, especially so close to the collar. Plus, more sewing their likely means higher cost.The color stitching does stick out on the black, but I don't see a way to avoid it.
                              Off the top of my head:

1. You could do a shoulder piece and have the sleeves sew into it. It actually wouldn't add any bulk, and would be more "accurate", but it would require additional pieces/sewing.
                              2. You could sew with 2 colors of thread. Again, more work... but certainly doable.
                              3. You could do a one-cut style bodysuit pattern. I actually don't see the downside in this one.

Thread seems to "pop" more in photos... so I suspect these are less pronounced in person.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎