Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mold-A-Rama Blow Mould Frankensteins

Plaid Stallions Mold-A-Rama Blow Mould Frankensteins

Turning the reins over to my buddy Matt today, who provided not only the photos but the prose as well. Take it away Matt!

These are the wonderful, magnificent, Mold-A-Rama Blow Mould Frankensteins.

Mold-A-Rama first appeared in the mid-60s, and was a staple of the Museum and Zoo experience for lucky kids in the 60s, 70s , and 80s.

For around $1, you could watch a vending machine make a version of your favorite museum or zoo souvenir using an injection mold.

The piece would come out of the machine scalding hot, and have a wonderful plasticky smell. It would feel like candle wax. At zoos you would frequently get Gorillas, Elephants etc.

At Museums, you could Space Shuttles, Presidential busts, The Space Needle etc.

This Frankenstein is one of the best and most sought-after Mold-A-Rama creations.
    He was made from the 60s through the 70s. His copyright on the back sometimes says "Universal Pictures, Co" and other times says "Universal Studios", depending on when it was released.

Any Mold-A-Rama and monster lover must have every color available!

Notice that the figure resembles the Rapco bisque monsters available in the 70s

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...

Images
    Wow, the shot of all of those colors together is kind of mesmerizing! Were any other monsters or pop culture characters available? Where was this option usually found?

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    Blog Entries

I vividly recall these machines at Universal Studios in California as a kid. I was really young and the Universal Monsters attraction really scared me! (Jaws jumping out of the water also frightened me)

Looks like lucky folks in the Chicago area can get Frankenstein busts this Halloween season at the Brookfiled zoo.
    http://mold-a-rama.com/index.php?news&nid=36

Last edited by samurainoir; Oct 19, '15 at 9:00 AM.

Images
    Blog Entries

Images
    I didn't know they had a Frank version. Cool.

I carried a vague memory of these machines from a childhood visit to what was then The Dark Continent (and now is just Busch Gardens in Florida). I wasn't sure if it was even real until a visit to Miami a few years back. Strolling through the Aquarium and, sure enough, there was one of these mold machines still there and working. Of course, i couldn't pass up the chance and got a whale. When I moved here to Florida, I found the mold machine that made the same mold I bought oh so many years ago- the hear-no, see-no, say-no evil monkeys.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Images
    I remember figures like this and the machines. Though, I don't recall Frankenstein. They're pretty darn cool, however.

Very nostalgic.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Images
    I never heard of those machines until I joined this forum. A couple of years ago while I was visiting my family in Seattle, I came across a couple of machines at the Pacific Science Museum, and I got a dinosaur and a butterfly. Sadly the butterfly was damaged on the trip back to CA.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Images
    I would have been all over Frankenstein versions of these. The St. Louis Zoo had a version that made animals...

I took my kids to Chicago to the U-505 Submarine at the Museum of Science and Industry and would you believe they had one of these machine sitting there cranking out little German U-Boats!

Of course I couldn't get my wallet out quick enough for that,
    Last edited by drquest; Oct 19, '15 at 11:56 AM.

Images
    Never knew about these or even those type of vending machines. Wayyyyyyy cool!!!!!

Images
    How cool. There must be a rainbow of colors for these things.
    WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH