Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I don't think Frank Herbert and L. Ron Hubbard are comparable.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      I don't think Frank Herbert and L. Ron Hubbard are comparable.
      They both peed standing up! Actually, that's not true, Hubbard sat.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• powersthatbe
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 27, 2010

I'll relate the first time I knew of Dune. In 1984 or 85 my mall was running a Dune promotion I guess through Barnes and Noble or something. There were models there dressed in the royal Atriedes wear. A big movie poster there saying "beyond your experience. beyond your imagination. I took home school book covers of the Dune movie. It sold me enough to start on the novel at age 14 and anticipated the film thinking "this is going to be the next star wars" Well anyway the movie did what it did then but I still loved picking up different dune books. And I thought the LJN toys were wonderful. So now I have watched the new version and thought it was very well done and very cinematic. I also loved the 'thopters very original on how they did those.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

i liked it a lot. visually stunning. great cast. i do hope they are able to make part 2 because otherwise this movie was pointless. they should have gone the LOTR route and filmed it all together to be released 1 year apart

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

I'm totally not a Dune guy and fired this up on HBO last night just out of idle curiosity. Still got about an hour left to watch, but it's been a very pleasant surprise. Incredible looking film, and the story is holding my interest well. Disappointing that it will probably be a couple years before we see the conclusion.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

the end actually reminded me of the end of Fellowship of the Ring

Comment

• SeattleEd
                SynthoRes Transmigrator
                • Oct 24, 2007

Watched it last night on HBO with the wife who loved the Lynch version for the fact Kyle MacLachlan was in it. (Wife is 6th generation Portlander and loves PNW actors and is a Wine connoisseur, plus she met him so favorite actor) I was surprised she even wanted to watch the new one since she does not like Sci Fi or Fantasy movies. So after viewing it she said she loved it and was surprised how well written and directed the movie turned out. Plus she was impressed with the cast and how diverse it was. She is definitely looking forward to the next one.
                I F***ING LOVED IT!!! The music alone sucked me in. I love that dark feel and use of muted greys, browns and khaki to set the mood of the scenes. Camera angles were great too! Amazing cinematography. Highly recommended!

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

One of the most gorgeous films ever. Loved every single second of it. This makes the new Star Wars movies look like cheap Saturday morning cartoons.
                  sigpic

Comment

• SeattleEd
                    SynthoRes Transmigrator
                    • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by Hector
                    One of the most gorgeous films ever. Loved every single second of it. This makes the new Star Wars movies look like cheap Saturday morning cartoons.
                    Agreed! I'm going to watch it again. So beautiful.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Me too!!! ^^^^^^^^

sigpic

Comment

• pmwasson
                        Maker
                        • Sep 12, 2007

It was cool to see live action Hornetroids.
                        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                          One thing I absolutely loved were the Ornithopters.
                          I call those Dune Buggies.. emphasis on the bug

Comment

• SeattleEd
                            SynthoRes Transmigrator
                            • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by pmwasson
                            It was cool to see live action Hornetroids.
                            Agreed! That came to mind as well!

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                              learning all the time
                              • Sep 15, 2010

I loved it!
                              parts actually gave me chills! I was in fanboy heaven.
                              some minor gripes but overall I really enjoyed it, I hope the 2nd part gets made and the director gets to make "messiah" as well.

************spoiler***************

my biggest gripe was Mamoa. he is just completely wrong for the role imo. he's too brawny, rough around the edges. I also never saw duncan as a cool uncle type character. imo he should be a cross between james bond and a military officer. a ladies man assassin who's all about protocol and graceful in manner. mamoa... no. with the cast they assembled he would've made a better stilgar and let brolin play duncan.
                              also the use of voice, while better than previous attempts imo, I never saw it as so overt. I always pictured it as more subtle and less demonic but that's my interpretation.

Comment

• drquest
                                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                                • Apr 17, 2012

Watched it today, couldn't get anyone else to watch it with me sadly, so it was at home. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

I'm a Dune fan, saw the original in the theater, and have seen it way too many times to admit. I've read the books. Did the audiobook of book 1 just a few months ago as a refresher.

I liked this version, shot beautifully. I liked the actors, but a few of them were just a little distracting to me because of who they are. I felt like I kept comparing it to the the original movie, and the book a lot, and expected that so that's not fair to judge on. It seems a little disjointed to me on a few of the storyarcs, not enough explanations I guess and they aren't taking their time. The time on Caladan seemed rushed and some additional backstory is missed. Same goes for Liet Kynes and Dr. Yueh and even Thufir. Just a little rushed...

Lots of cool imagery, and overall done very very well. I do think they should have been able to shoot the second half at the same time. Not being able to do that was unfortunate for the show runners, crew and the fans, but I'm certain they will be able to finish it.
                                Danny(Drquest)
                                Captain Action HQ
                                Retro shirts and stuff
                                More retro shirts
                                Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡