X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C.H.O.A.M.
    learning all the time
    • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by drquest
    I've been listening to the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings on audiobook and I just have a couple of chapters left. I think I may go with Dune next as I've never read it myself. Is any of the other books worth a listen, or should I just target the first one?
    my .02$ - start with Dune and continue if you like it. all of the original 6 are worth reading/listening to. they span many centuries.
    the first book is the longest but the worlds Herbert creates are very complex. the next 5 books move much faster.

I think this is looking fantastic so far! DUNE is weird, it's not for everyone, it will never have the same broad appeal as LOTR but that's ok with me.
    my only question/quibble: what are those ghostlike things Duncan is attacking? and Jason Mamoa is the last person I would cast as Duncan.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by C.H.O.A.M.
      my .02$ - start with Dune and continue if you like it. all of the original 6 are worth reading/listening to. they span many centuries.
      the first book is the longest but the worlds Herbert creates are very complex. the next 5 books move much faster.

I think this is looking fantastic so far! DUNE is weird, it's not for everyone, it will never have the same broad appeal as LOTR but that's ok with me.
      my only question/quibble: what are those ghostlike things Duncan is attacking? and Jason Mamoa is the last person I would cast as Duncan.
      I was skeptical about Momoa as Duncan as well, but form what I saw in the trailer, it works well and I really like his portrayal based on what little we've seen.

As for the books, I tried reading Dune when I was much younger and didn't make it, but I finally sat down and read it about 4-5 years ago and read the first three books. I had seen both the Lynch movie and the SyFy originals but finally reading the books was an experience on another level. I took a break after book three, and intended to go back for the other Herbert originals, but I still haven't gotten to it. I am getting a hankering to reread the original though, so I amy try to read them straight through once I finish up all he series I am in the middle of currently.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by C.H.O.A.M.
        what are those ghostlike things Duncan is attacking?
        The Sardaukar.....me thinks.
        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

All I know is I'm digging out the glossary the movie theater passed out before the original version. I'm looking forward to this, and am thinking maybe I should finally read the book

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

I had a 1 1/2 hour drive to work this morning and started the Dune audiobook. So far so good, and my multiple, and I mean multiple viewings of the original movie is paying off as a lot of it has been very familiar.
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
              learning all the time
              • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by J.B.
              The Sardaukar.....me thinks.
              hmmmm... could be I guess, if they're going that way with them.
              looked more like a "danger room" training exercise type deal to me.
              I'll have to watch it again.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

New trailer:

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

I can’t wait for this one. Must see for me…
                  sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

I am going to put this out there for those who are going to watch the new Dune movie. This ends in a cliff-hanger that sets up for movie 2, so do not think it will end like the 1984 movie did.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                      I am going to put this out there for those who are going to watch the new Dune movie. This ends in a cliff-hanger that sets up for movie 2, so do not think it will end like the 1984 movie did.
                      Denis Villeneuve has made it clear all along this was part 1 of 2, and that the complete story was not told in this one movie. (on a related note-The new GN adaptation that was released in anticipation of this was also done as part 1 of 2, with part 2 being released next year I believe, so the Herbert estate is being consistent in how they present the story).

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

The general audience does not know this. They will be going into this movie thinking it is going to be wrapped instead of waiting for pt 2.

Now saying that I have read the books, watch all the version based on Dune and had no problem with it, whereas my boyfriend who has never read or seen the movies looked puzzled as to why it ended in a cliffhanger.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

It's a very intriguing, often compelling adaptation of the book.
                          (Some parts I do prefer over the '84 movie, while in certain other aspects the Lynch version still comes out on top.)
                          One thing I absolutely loved were the Ornithopters.
                          I hope we get part 2.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

The movie was a masterpiece. If part 2 doesn't get made, it will be a tragedy.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

The NPR interview with the director was interesting. This film is truly a labor of love.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                                Career Member
                                • Jul 23, 2019

I have a feeling this movie could be the next Battlefield Earth.
                                "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎