Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comic Grail acquired

Images
    Was this the one on Ebay? I though I saw one about a couple of weeks back. Golden Age has always been something I would like to explore more. I have a few Super Hero Golden Age books...but I have a pre-code horror Atlas Suspense book that made me start to look at non super hero golden age books. It's fun and it's always great finding a grail. CONGRATS!!
    "When not too many people can see we're all the same
    And because of all their tears,
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity".

- "Isn't It A Pity"
    By George Harrison

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list:
    Good Traders List - Page 80 - Mego Talk

Images
    That is an awesome book and a hard one to find. Great Snag!!
    Heart of Glass was my secret identity.

This Son of Sinbad is much more affordable!

Son of Sinbad.jpg

Awesome comic find!!! Its great when you find your Grail!!
    Looking for redhead AJ heads (or figures) - both bearded & clean shaven (I'm trying to complete all the variations).
    Also seeking: 1 blue Soldier Ape glove, 1 General Ape boot, sun reflector from PotA Fortress playset.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie View Post
    Was this the one on Ebay? I though I saw one about a couple of weeks back. Golden Age has always been something I would like to explore more. I have a few Super Hero Golden Age books...but I have a pre-code horror Atlas Suspense book that made me start to look at non super hero golden age books. It's fun and it's always great finding a grail. CONGRATS!!
    Yes, it was on ebay. I finally broke my ebay hiatus to look for a copy of DNAgents 24 with the Dave Stevens cover as it has been impossible to find for the last 7 years at local shows and shops, and it's the last issue I needed for the run, and wanted it regardless of having a Dave Stevens cover, but once I started looking around, I started finding other books-a few affordable Matt Baker books, an issue of Wally Wood's Witzend and a few other books with Stevens covers I wanted to finish runs that were hard to find locally (World of Wood #1 and Vanguard Illustrated #2). Of course a week after I broke down and bought the copy of DNAgents #24, one of our local shops finally got one in, but hey, them's the breaks.

But yeah, I have been getting more into 50s stuff recently, I picked up a couple of reprint books of pre-code horror stuff (the Seduction of the Innocent mini, and the Shocking Tales digest from Harvey), plus 50s stuff by Wally Wood in World of Wood, and as many of the Gemstone reprints of the EC classics as I can find affordably, and it really reinforced my interest in 50s stuff. I have been picking up 50s era Tarzans from Dell on the cheap for a while, and have a bunch of comic strip collections from the 50s (a lot of Steve Canyon by Caniff and other stuff here and there) and so I just find myself drawn to books form that era. Add in getting on a Matt Baker kick and I find myself looking for a lot more 50s era stuff, and with a few exceptions, I haven't been buying much in the way of Marvel/DC super-hero back issues for a while (I still look for Red Circle stuff, Phantom, Hawkman and a few other Silver DC fringe books) so my focus has been on the non-hero (or at least non-costumed hero) stuff. There's just a wealth of interesting stuff there that gets overlooked by super-hero focused collectors.

-M

Images
    Enjoying this thread!

I hadn’t had my long boxes out since about 1985, but always kept them. I kept thinking one of these days I’d pass them down to my kids, but neither of my girls care about them. Then I had two grandsons so I’m thinking maybe they will be more interested. Maybe... kids don’t seem to care about comic books much these days, at least not in the way that I did.

Either way, with all this downtime, I decided to get them out and start going through them. It’s been fun to relive the memories. Lots of Silver and Bronze Age marvel and DC horror... Fantastic Four... probably the only person in America who collected a complete run of freakin’ Weird War Tales.

Have tons of old Dells, Gold Keys, Charlotte... etc.. So for the first time in my life, I’m selling stuff on eBay and using the proceeds to fill in the gaps on the Fantastic Four run, the Marvel monster titles like “Where Monster Dwell, Where Creatures Roam, Werewolf By Night and a few others... It’s given me something new to hunt, and that’s the fun isn’t it?

Congratulations that's a great find.

Picked up another Kubert classic in tonight's Lonestar auction, this one will be more recognizable to folks here...

Brave & the Bold #36, 3rd SA Hawkman appearance and 1st Shadow Thief...

I now have 3 of the 6 Kubert B&B Hawkmans (#34 is probably out of my affordability range unless I luck into something, but I have slowly been piecing a SA Hawkman collection together (though #1 and 4 are also pretty much out of reach).

-M

Great score! i love finding the offbeat stuff that you never think you would find, let alone afford!

Images
    Blog Entries
    That is an awesome cover