Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Try Hobby Lobby if you have one in your area.

Comment

• rykerw1701
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 27, 2007

Nice job restoring those! Would love to know the recipe.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
        Veteran Member
        • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by rykerw1701
        Nice job restoring those! Would love to know the recipe.
        My methods are very primitive. The recipe includes various size rod, tubes, and sheet styrene from Plastruct and Evergreen Scale Models. You can find it at hobby shops that sell models and trains. The M1 tip consists on 10 separate pieces of styrene. 3 more pieces to make the trigger and guard. I drill holes into the gun stock so that the repairs are sturdy. The normal silver and black paint are Tamiya lacquer spray paint. The blued M1 is mixed in acrylics and then clear coated after. Hope that helps!

I have been thinking about ways to produce the common broken parts that I could offer to people with broken guns. Maybe even making a mold for them. Have them prepainted so all you have to do is drill a hole and insert it.

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
          My methods are very primitive. The recipe includes various size rod, tubes, and sheet styrene from Plastruct and Evergreen Scale Models. You can find it at hobby shops that sell models and trains. The M1 tip consists on 10 separate pieces of styrene. 3 more pieces to make the trigger and guard. I drill holes into the gun stock so that the repairs are sturdy. The normal silver and black paint are Tamiya lacquer spray paint. The blued M1 is mixed in acrylics and then clear coated after. Hope that helps!

I have been thinking about ways to produce the common broken parts that I could offer to people with broken guns. Maybe even making a mold for them. Have them prepainted so all you have to do is drill a hole and insert it.
          Thanks! Very meticulous, but effective.

Comment

• knight errant00
            8 Inch Action Figure
            • Nov 15, 2005

Wow! All these repairs you've been sharing are impressive!

Comment

• Myoldtoys
              Veteran Member
              • May 15, 2012

Thanks everyone! I build model cars and make many scratchbuilt parts. I also have a knack for reverse engineering things. Most of the toys you see being repaired are from my childhood. The sentimental value is high and fixing them is fun.

I got a box of repair parts and repro accessories from Cotswolds yesterday. I hope to start part 2 of this thread by the weekend. Have to look for a way to replace a talking Joe pull string without cracking the whole mechanism open. Also have to replace or repair some talker shoulder joints.

I would love to find a talking mechanism for a soldier. My soldier lost his in a tragic accident I will write about. Hard to find them for sale though
              Last edited by Myoldtoys; Sep 9, '20, 6:19 PM.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                Veteran Member
                • May 15, 2012

I’m also finding that as I go through the other things in the bins that I had some LJN MR Action knock-off sets. I can identify stuff from 3: the motorcycle suit, the tan MP outfit, and the suit and gun from the mini-copter.

Comment

• Neutron X
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 22, 2007

Cool repairs. If you had a Talking soldier it comes apart with 2 screws in shoulder. If figure's hip slide off torso peg. Put screw driver under leg elastic, bring down torso piece with peg slide onto hip elastic. line up pegs on talking Mech, limbs and head. Put screws back. Restringing talking mech is not very hard. Talking soldier and AT Commander are most common talking mechs to find. Good luck!

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by Neutron X
                    Cool repairs. If you had a Talking soldier it comes apart with 2 screws in shoulder. If figure's hip slide off torso peg. Put screw driver under leg elastic, bring down torso piece with peg slide onto hip elastic. line up pegs on talking Mech, limbs and head. Put screws back. Restringing talking mech is not very hard. Talking soldier and AT Commander are most common talking mechs to find. Good luck!
                    Thanks for the info. Over the past week, I have replaced shoulder joints, replaced the pull string on the commander without cracking open the mechanism, and averted disaster when the vinyl talking strip broke and got jammed in the spring. The rifles also now have slings.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 15, 2012

My original GI Joe's came out so nice after fixing them and replacing lost accessories. I decided to take the next step and buy some replacement boxes on eBay. These were more expensive boxes, but I am very impressed with the quality. Both the print quality and the materials.

Comment

• Makernaut
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 22, 2015

^Nice!

I've been buying reproduction boxes, too. To me, it's a great way to finish off a cleaned-up, repaired and returned to glory JOE.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I agree, I've repro boxes for my vintage Mike Power and Bullet-Man figures.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 26, 2008

Those are really nice, figures look great in them.
                            Chad

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎