Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What offbeat thing are you finding to use in making customs?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

What offbeat thing are you finding to use in making customs?

A general question for folks: what sorts of things are you finding out there to help with making customs? In recent years I've found some of the little pearl and gem stick ons in the scrapbook aisles that have been useful (repainting the pearls gives you great buttons or rivets), and Apoxy Sculpt seems an excellent and more durable replacement for the modelling plastic I've usually used for sculpting/re-sculpting (the plastic eventually dries out and becomes very brittle). What sorts of things like this have folks found useful in recent years?
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I just bought some Milliput but haven't yet used it--wonder how it compares to Apoxie.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Hot fix nailheads (many on ebay) in various sizes & colors are perfect for costume rivets and buttons. These are aleady used on doll clothing and give a polished appearance with easy, durable application.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Odd things I have been using:
        * Dollar store knee high pantyhose (for pantyhose)
        * Dress sock (for fabric with ridges)
        * Stuffed animal (for fur)
        * Clip-on hair extensions (for hair rooting)
        * Shoelace (for a whip? Does anyone have a better solution for making a whip?)
        * Dollhouse accessories (haven't actually arrived yet... but wow... you can find anything for a dollhouse!)

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

Already a stockpiling artist for sculpture/assemblage bits, you can find many oddball pieces from writing pens to machine parts, vintage hardware, wiring, electronics, etc. that come in handy to fabricate custom elements and accessories.

I started experimenting with the amazing material know as silicone elastomer several years ago, and still haven't maximized its potential.

Old Mego-era clothing remains a great resource of durable and dye-able fabrics, buttons, snaps, etc., great for re-imagining/re-purposing.

If you sculpt heads, body parts, and accessories, or use press molds, Apoxie Sculpt is a must in your studio. Just remember to work safely with compounds and resins, as they are no-joke-toxic.
          Last edited by Confessional; Sep 1, '20, 10:52 AM. Reason: … make it work!

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by sprytel
            Some of my Megos and most of my Cy Girl customs have hosiery made the same way...

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

* Dollhouse accessories (haven't actually arrived yet... but wow... you can find anything for a dollhouse!)
              I second the stuffed animal! I was going to buy fur fabric at the craft store, but then I saw a stuffed bear at the Dollar Tree. I cut it apart and it was perfect because it was lightweight and easy to apply.

Comment

• darkbros
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 3, 2012

To add to Sprytel's list:
                Dollar Store Items:
                Dollar store Robots: for Cybernetic / Robot parts...I saw LoucoPorBonecos take a part a Dollar Store 'Transformer" and use it to build a Cyber Warrior on Youtube, and it inspired me
                Dollar Store Glow Stick Toys : For GITD accents that Can't be done with GITD Acrylic Panint
                Dollar Store Dowels for various things : Canes, Fighting Sticks, Staffs, etc
                Dollar Store braided Phone Cables for cabling on sci-fi guns, back packs, Robots, etc
                Dollar Store ( or Five below) Hair Bands ( clear like what was used for the Jeannie Mego, colored as well) great for holding ponytails, braids, or even for holding holsters to belts, etc.
                Dollar Store 11" Doll Shoes and skirts work well for Mego Females
                Dollar Store round colored raised dots or jewels Stickers in the Craft section, can be used for accenting belts, chest emblems, etc
                and of course as I reported many many months back....the Dollar Store female Mermaid heads that work on Mego Female bodies, that can give yu Alien looking females for many things ( Zamarons, Green Lanterns, etc)

other items that are tried and true I have in the parts bins:

Elastic in various size widths and colors for belts, straps, etc.
                different styles of buttons that I find on clearance that can be used for mystical pendants, cape clasps, ornate belt buckles, etc
                Vinyl tape made by Duck that comes in different patterns and colors
                Quitling thread for ropes, webs and if braided in clear glue, makes excellent whips
                Plastic Scrubbers with criss cross patterns make for excellent block stamping of web/ scale patterns on clothing
                Snaps, hooks and various colored velcro
                colored thin gauge electrical wire
                Last edited by darkbros; Sep 6, '20, 2:33 PM. Reason: corrcted spelling
                Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Just got some of the Creepy Cloth from Dollar Tree for Baba Yaga so there is that. Now looking for a cheap dome for Von Klempt.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• scott metzger
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by darkbros
                    To add to Sprytel's list: Dollar Store Dowels for various things : Canes, Fighting Sticks, Staffs, etc
                    Those are useful. And I found you actually can dye them. I wanted to use them to make spears and such for my cavemen/ladies, and didn't want the paint chipping off every time I put them in someone's hand. A tall water bottle, some brown dye, and some patience, and I had a usable brown as opposed to the original tan color of the shish kabob sticks.

Some really cool ideas here.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Watered down acrylic paint will give the same results on wood
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• darklord1967
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 27, 2008

Actually, when I was making my 8 inch scale custom CATWOMAN figure, I used PU braided Leather jewelry making Cord (necklaces and bracelets, etc) for creating her bullwhip.

They are available in a few (not many) colors

They also come in varying widths so that you can really nail the scale thickness of the bullwhip. As a reminder, this is what the finished bullwhip looked like with my custom figure.

Last edited by darklord1967; Oct 30, '21, 6:53 PM.
                        I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by darklord1967
                          Actually, when I was making my 8 inch scale custom CATWOMAN figure, I used PU braided Leather jewelry making Cord (necklaces and bracelets, etc) for creating her bullwhip.

They are available in a few (not many) colors

They also come in varying widths so that you can really nail the scale thickness of the bullwhip. As a reminder, this is what the finished bullwhip looked like with my custom figure.

Did you sculpt this Catwoman head or find the sculpt online? It looks amazing!

Comment

• darklord1967
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by Jrfjr126rock
                            Did you sculpt this Catwoman head or find the sculpt online? It looks amazing!
                            Thank you kindly, Jrfjr126rock! This CATWOMAN head is one I hand-sculpted, molded, cast, and painted myself. I loosely based her on one of my favorite artist renditions of her done back in the late 1980’s by artists Alan Davis and Paul Neary during their run on Detective Comics.

I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by darklord1967
                              Thank you kindly, Jrfjr126rock! This CATWOMAN head is one I hand-sculpted, molded, cast, and painted myself. I loosely based her on one of my favorite artist renditions of her done back in the late 1980’s by artists Alan Davis and Paul Neary during their run on Detective Comics.

It's perfect! Unfortunately there is not a single masked Catwoman head out there. Even the ones made by FTC are mostly sold out. If you ever decide to make sculpts to sell let me know!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎