X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Disney's Zorro TV series, starring Guy Williams

My pals Ryan Daly, the Irredeemable Shag and I take a look at the classic Zorro TV series starring Guy Willaims. Still my absolute favorite iteration of the character, and a cherished memory from the early days of cable, watching reruns on the Disney Channel!

The Fire and Water Podcast Network Presents a variety of geeky topics! We celebrate an assortment of favorites through standalone episodes and mini-series!

Chris
    sigpic
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Similar to Clayton Moore and Christopher Reeve, Guy Williams is thee ONLY Zorro that matters.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I enjoyed this podcast, but I have to admit I'm wholly unfamiliar with the Disney version. (I've seen most everything else of the character and admire the Power film very much.) I wanted to get the dvds, but ye gods, they are $$$.

Your discussion did encourage me to check out Disney's show--I am a big fan of the character. I think I have a bit of a bias against Williams from LIS, I don't care much for that show or him in it.

I understand how the show was impactful in popularizing Zorro, but I'm not convinced it's the "only" legitimate interpretion for fans.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 31, '20, 2:06 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 27, 2010

didn't Zorro turn 100 years old last year? i'm a fan of the character as well and would like to check out the series someday. I also want to see the erroll flynn robin hood sometime too.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Antonio Banderas is the best Zorro.
          sigpic

Comment

• JediJaida
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 14, 2008

Ordinarily I would have said Tyrone Power was the best, as he did the first talkie, but sometimes he was a bit too smug. Antonio was excellent as Zorro. He was a less refined, more basic Zorro.
            JediJaida

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

I have season’s 1-2 of Disney’s Zorro on dvd, but have yet to see season 3 and it’s been quite awhile.

I really hope they release season 3 at some point, I really enjoy the series and Williams played the role perfectly.

Back in 1995, I went to a Lost in Space sci-fi convention and meet the cast with the exception of Guy Williams who had already past away. I would have told him I enjoyed his portrayal of Zorro.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I enjoyed this podcast, but I have to admit I'm wholly unfamiliar with the Disney version. (I've seen most everything else of the character and admire the Power film very much.) I wanted to get the dvds, but ye gods, they are $$$.

Your discussion did encourage me to check out Disney's show--I am a big fan of the character. I think I have a bit of a bias against Williams from LIS, I don't care much for that show or him in it.

I understand how the show was impactful in popularizing Zorro, but I'm not convinced it's the "only" legitimate interpretion for fans.
                I don't think we ever said it was the "only" legitimate version. In my opinion, and that of one of my co-hosts, it's our favorite. We covered other Zorro interpretations this month to give them equal time.

Who is the best Zorro is a very personal opinion, just like who is the best Superman. I say Chris Reeve hands down, but some say George Reeves, and some even say Henry Cavill.

Tyrone Power was great, but he wasn't in costume enough, at least for me. Antonio Banderas was fantastic, as was Anthony Hopkins! But I personally feel Guy Williams brought a zest, a passion to the role few others did. He ENJOYED being Zorro, both within the show and without, and it showed. I don't think he enjoyed being on Lost in Space because the lead was taken away from him by a campy Dr. Smith, a boy and a flashy robot.

I really hope they release season 3 at some point, I really enjoy the series and Williams played the role perfectly.
                Me too. I wasn't really aware of "Season 3" as a thing for a long time, because it's technically part of Walt Disney Presents/Disneyland, after Walt pulled the plug on the series when ABC wouldn't allow him to go color with it. He kept the cast on salary for two years and made four hour long specials. They are all on YouTube, at least.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Hector
                  Antonio Banderas is the best Zorro.
                  George Hamilton 😃
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• rykerw1701
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 27, 2007

Speaking of Zorro, my only major collectible purchase this year was the Blitzway Mask of Zorro. Overall, I'm very happy with it. It's got a very good likeness to Antonio Banderas, and terrific metal sword. It was also too much money at $280. At least I had Sideshow dollars to put towards it, but yikes. Anyway, you can still get them if you want to part with some cash. Zorro.jpg

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

Guy Williams was also on Bonanza (after Zorro and before Lost in Space) he was in 5 episodes and played
                      Ben Cartwright’s nephew Will Cartwright.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Guy Williams was also on Bonanza (after Zorro and before Lost in Space) he was in 5 episodes and played
                        Ben Cartwright’s nephew Will Cartwright.
                        Yeah, my understanding was he was brought in to replace the grumbly Pernell Roberts who was threatening to walk. Roberts changed his mind when they hired Williams, so they let Williams go. Then next season, Roberts left, but I think Guy was on LiS by then.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎