X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: Star Trek Mission to Gamma VI

Vintage Mego takes a look at the classic Mego Star Trek playset “Mission to Gamma VI” an alien world environment loosely based on a classic epsiode of the television series. We also talk about why the Mego Star Trek line abruptly ended in 1977 even though it was still quite popular. Talk Mego Star Trek…

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I felt I had qualified as a "serious" Mego collector when I acquired a Zorro and a Gamma VI playset, more so than secret identities.

I like this playset--and I'm really into playsets--quite a bit. At one point, I even had the variant version. As you point out, it's loaded with play value and well-designed. Until I was an adult collector, I had no idea it existed.

Thanks for the showcase! And Megoapesnaut, I'm proud to own your Gamma VI, thanks too for your kindness.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! I posted this on the Pod Stallions FB page as well, but watching this video clicked something I had never considered before. Could this playset ALSO be partially based on the Monolith from Miramanee's planet in "The Paradise Syndrome"? It has the stairs, trapdoor and secret chamber that that idol/monolith does. Change your Kirk into Kirok!!!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Very nice video, I never had the Mission to Gamma Vl or the Enterprise, but I was very happy to have the 8” collection and had my own adventures with the different aliens mego made and of course the Klingons.

The Gamma Vl set is pretty darn cool with the different accessories, although the little aliens are somewhat odd, but they are are colorful.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
          Career Member
          • Jul 23, 2019

I wish someone with the know-how and the ability would repro this playset. I would love to own one even f it isn't an original.
          "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

I remember the commercials, but don't recall ever laying eyes on it in a store. I could have really had fun with this as a kid. Then again, I could still have fun with it as a grown man child, too.

I love these videos, both on the things I do have and on those I never did. There's far too little on YouTube about a lot of the older stuff; any additions like this are very welcome.

Comment

• Chris
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 23, 2009

Very informative! There is a documentary in your future.
              I remember seeing the "Mission to Gamma VI" at a dollar store type place AND didn't buy it.
              Best playset? It looks like a real hoot to own.
              Thank you again for recording the video. it was absolutely wonderful.
              If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                Career Member
                • Jul 23, 2019

I saw it about a year-and-a-half ago at a vintage toy store in Edmonton. I don't know if it was complete, but the box was with it and they had it on a high shelf in the store. I don't remember the asking price, but it wasn't cheap and there was no way I could buy it at the time. That's why I wish someone would make a reissue of it much like how a few years back the Bridge playset was reissued.
                "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Yes! I would love a reissue, even the front shell. The cardboard part is great but not essential. The vintage front is very fragile--polystyrene. But tooling-wise, a reproduction would likely be pretty expensive.

I'll tell you what, if the bridge tooling is available for the vinyl-sealing, I'd be exploiting that for other playsets. It's a great format--could work for monsters, show-accurate Bridge, all sorts of Mego-centric licenses.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎