Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTU Origins vs vintage comparisons Evil-lyn, Teela, Beastman, etc.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    Oh, there's definitely scalpers out there.
    Yeah, judging by ebay there's still plenty of scalpers going after these. On the upside Mattel has made a whole bunch of these. So, from what I can tell, they are getting in the hands of collectors and kids too. Mattel looks like they really have a big hit on their hands with Origins. I love them. The quality is fantastic, they look great and are fun toys to play with. Yep, these are meant to be toys first and collectibles second. Just as MOTU should be.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

Oh, there's definitely scalpers out there. They haven't been readily available in a lot of areas, including mine. I've seen tons of Battle Cats, but everything else has been very hit or miss, only seeing those five He-Men, 2 Skeletors and one Adam/Sky Sled pack.

Get the best deals for masters of the universe origins at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Chris
      Your Ebay link doesn't work for me, but I'm not saying there aren't some out there, but I have a hard time believing these are still getting scalped in large numbers. It doesn't really matter if your area hasn't gotten them in a large supply, because as long some area has, it will drive the prices down. Ebay prices for weeks have been at like $20-$25, which means there's almost no profit in them. Maybe scalpers are still hording them, but after the huge rollout in most the country and multiple chances to get them online as well as news of a broader release in January, I'm guessing it's just as likely that fans picked up these 5 figures.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Your Ebay link doesn't work for me, but I'm not saying there aren't some out there, but I have a hard time believing these are still getting scalped in large numbers. It doesn't really matter if your area hasn't gotten them in a large supply, because as long some area has, it will drive the prices down. Ebay prices for weeks have been at like $20-$25, which means there's almost no profit in them. Maybe scalpers are still hording them, but after the huge rollout in most the country and multiple chances to get them online as well as news of a broader release in January, I'm guessing it's just as likely that fans picked up these 5 figures.
        Not trying to argue, but knowing my town and my area, I doubt five He-Man figures were bought by kids/collectors in less than 24 hours. I smell a scalper. Maybe not a well-informed scalper who knows that these aren't going for much, but an opportunist none the less.

I hope I'm wrong, and these were gobbled up by kids and collectors.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• jacoblb
          Persistent Member
          • May 7, 2009

Is Walmart carrying other characters besides Skeletor and He-man? I've only seen those there. But mainly--mostly Skeletor. No Battlecat either.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jacoblb
            Is Walmart carrying other characters besides Skeletor and He-man?
            Yes, the Walmart chain has gotten all six first series figures plus Battle Cat and Sky Sled. He-Man and Skeletor are just shipped in much greater numbers than the other figures.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Prince Adam vintage, Origins and commemorative.

muoriginsadam.JPG

Sadly the purple color on the legs of my original Adam figure has faded a bit with age. On the upside his belt elastic is in surprisingly good shape.

I don't think the vest on the Origins Adam is really meant to be removed but it can be done with difficulty, if you remove the head, arms and pop the torso off first, if you want to swap it out for a fabric vest. Adam comes with a full sword that is from the same mold as the one from the comic con set and is too big for his hand. The MOTUC Cringer is in perfect scale with Origins Adam. He was actually a bit under scaled for the larger Classics figures. I really like the brighter cartoon colors of the Origins Adam over the darker maroon of the vintage and commemorative figures.
              Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 17, '20, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Vintage and Origins Skyled.

muoriginssled.JPG

The new one is larger and much more detailed. It also comes with interchangeable parts to change it into the villain doom buggy version of the Sky Sled.
                Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 16, '20, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I will admit, as a kid, I was glad the Adam figure DIDN'T have a pink vest. I know it's unenlightened of me, but 8 year old me never cottoned to the "girl color" vest.

That being said, I like the new figure a lot. I think that head sculpt works better for Adam than He-Man, for some reason.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I never thought of Adam as having the lighter vest because I wasn't into the cartoon when I collected the line. I'll admit that I loved tjhe Shazam!-inspired redesign of Adam in 2002.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

^I will admit, as a kid, I was glad the Adam figure DIDN'T have a pink vest. I know it's unenlightened of me, but 8 year old me never cottoned to the "girl color" vest.
                      The 70s and 80s really didn't seem to have the hang ups on colors we do now. In the 70s Batman and Six Million dollar man came in pink cards and boxes. In the 80s hot pink and neon colors were everywhere. It was just a cool trendy color at the time.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^That's true...but to me, "pink" equalled "girl" by the early to mid 80s. As I said, I was an unenlightened 8 year old, so don't judge me too harshly. ;-)

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

^That's true...but to me, "pink" equalled "girl" by the early to mid 80s. As I said, I was an unenlightened 8 year old, so don't judge me too harshly. ;-)
                          Ha! No, I don't think anyone will be judging 8 year old you.

I actually feel bad for kids who couldn't go into the dreaded "pink aisle" in toy departments. They missed out on a lot of cool stuff.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

With the Filmation sword and vest from the Super7 retros.

muoriginsadam2.JPG

I kinda like it better this way.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎