Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTU Origins vs vintage comparisons Evil-lyn, Teela, Beastman, etc.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

MOTU Origins vs vintage comparisons Evil-lyn, Teela, Beastman, etc.

Evil-lyn vintage, Origins and commemorative.

Origins Lyn has a new sneering head sculpt and a brighter yellow skin tone in comparison to the vintage figure or commemorative. Only the staff of the vintage figure glows in the dark. I wish they'd have done the glow plastic. The 2002, MOTU Classics and retro Super 7 figures didn't have a glow staff either. I do like the new bright yellow plastic. It really pops.

Teela 8 back, Origins and commemorative.

Definitely a Filmation inspired head sculpt on the origins Teela. I think this is the best Teela head sculpt Mattel has done. The gold details on the origins Teela are also a golden brown like the cartoon. The Commemorative figure is based on a later 12 back Teela and has different face paint from the 8 back. Origins Teela has the darker boots of the 12 back Teela. The Snake armor of the Origins Teela is made out a soft rubber in comparison to the harder plastic of the vintage figure. The shield of the Origins Teela doesn't clip on like the vintage or commemorative. She holds it by the handle.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 29, '20, 5:08 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Beastman vintage, Origins and commemorative.

Origins Beastman has a new closed mouth head sculpt which I really like. The armor is a darker reddish brown in comparison to the vintage or commemorative. The whip is similar but not the same Big Jim mold. The shoulder armor on the vintage figure is actually in two pieces. The armor piece plugs into the armband. The commemorative and Origins figure armor is in one piece. The symbol on the chest armor of the commemorative figure is really neatly and precisely painted. The Origins figure has the same type of over sprayed look of the vintage one.

Man at Arms 12 back, Origins and commemorative.

The new moustache head sculpt is sort of a mix of the vintage toy and Filmation. I really like it. Unlike the vintage figure they did paint in his sculpted hair under the back of the helm. The left arm armor of the Origins figure is in two pieces to not hinder the new elbow joint. The armor of the Origins figure is made out of a soft rubber.

I forgot to mention, all the armor pieces on these attach like the vintage. You don't have to take the figure apart, like He-Man, to take the armor off.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 29, '20, 5:05 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Great pics Werewolf! They look awesome together. I agree, Origins figures are just about perfect.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Battle Cat vintage, Origins and commemorative.

There's definitely some call backs in the sculpt to the Big Jim tiger but other than that it's Filmation Battle Cat. Seriously, he looks like he stepped right out of the cartoon. He's the biggest of the three and the only one with articulation. The commemorative Battle Cat is slightly smaller than the vintage one and the figures don't fit in the saddle as well. It also has a duller more matte plastic to the armor.

An easy way to tell the vintage MOTU figures from the Commemorative ones is the the vintage US release figures are generally marked Taiwan or Malaysia and the commemorative figures are all marked China.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
          Great pics Werewolf! They look awesome together. I agree, Origins figures are just about perfect.
          Thank you.

I agree they are awesome figures. They are updated just enough but still look and feel like real MOTU figures. I way prefer these over Classics.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

He-Man 12 back, Origins and commemorative.

New head sculpt seems like a mix of the original toy and cartoon to me. The comic con set did come with a vintage head sculpt. I believe the Origins Battle Armor He-Man will also come with a vintage inspired head sculpt. As you can see the commemorative head sculpt is just a bit off. The vintage He-Man shield is in three pieces, front, back and cardboard insert. The commemorative and Origins shield are molded in one piece.

Skeletor 8 back, Origins and commemorative.

I really like the new head sculpt. Again I think it's a mix of the toy with a touch of Filmation. The commemorative Skeletor is an odd mix of the 8 and 12 back figure. Half boots of the 8 back with the black shorts and face paint of the 12 back.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
              Veteran Member
              • May 15, 2012

Love the comparison pictures! I’m not a MOTU collector but I always watched the cartoon as a kid. I like the changes they made. The head sculpts look more like the cartoon. It’s cool that they kept the style of the originals while offering more articulation and new heads. Thumbs up from me.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
                Love the comparison pictures!
                Thank you.

I'm also really liking the new head sculpts. These are by far the nicest MOTU figures we've gotten since the original line. They actually feel like a refresh to the original line we never got back in the day.
                Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 31, '20, 2:43 PM.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 23, 2013

Origins figures are really nice figures.

It's very good to see them so clearly.

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

I bought Skeletor. I'd be interested in Faker but I do not like the head sculpt on He-Man. Might snag Beast Man and Scare Glow.
                    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• jacoblb
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 7, 2009

The He-Man head sculpt could be better but the Origin versions are better in so many other ways especially regarding other characters. I wasn't going to buy any of the newer MOTU figures but glad I did.

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

I get what they're going for here, but this line isn't for me. MOTUC was the perfect blend of new and old. Melding the updated (and amazing) 2002 looks with the classic designs.
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I finally saw He-Man at our local Walmart on Sunday. They had five of them...but I passed. I'm not sure why. I guess I questioned "do I have space to display these, really?" and I have some preorders soon to come in, so I felt guilty with an impulse buy.

I had to make a rare runback to Walmart yesterday, and they were all gone. It's doubtful, in my little town, they sold to kids or actual collectors, so a scalper probably got them. So I REALLY wish I had bought one, just to keep it out of that guys hands!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

Eh, I'm doubtful scalpers got them. There's not really a market for these on Ebay or other places. They've been readily available for some time now. I'm guessing kids or collectors got them, more likely the latter.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Eh, I'm doubtful scalpers got them. There's not really a market for these on Ebay or other places. They've been readily available for some time now. I'm guessing kids or collectors got them, more likely the latter.
                              Oh, there's definitely scalpers out there. They haven't been readily available in a lot of areas, including mine. I've seen tons of Battle Cats, but everything else has been very hit or miss, only seeing those five He-Men, 2 Skeletors and one Adam/Sky Sled pack.

Get the best deals for masters of the universe origins at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎