Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imlaughing2death
    • Jul 20, 2020

Newbie asks about Classic Monster figure customization

Greetings Mego fans, so I've decided to start collecting some monster figures for when Halloween rolls around. A few weeks back I missed out on a loose EMCE Bride of Frankenstein, but then I scored it unopened for the same price (although there appears to be a blemish on her nose somehow), and I've got an EMCE Phantom on the way. However, there's a few that I'm not really sure what I want to do yet, and there's the problem. I like the accuracy that Sideshow monsters have, and the accessories they come with, but I like the cloth outfits and articulation that EMCE/Mego figures feature. I've seen some folks cobble together some lovely customs, but I haven't really seen much info on how the Sideshow figures were constructed. Would it be wise to get a few Sideshows so I can chop them up and glue them onto Mego bodies?

I could settle for the Mego flocked Werewolf, since that's a silly gimmick I like, but I'm kind of disappointed by it's lack of claws and "tiptoe" feet, since that's part of what I feel makes THE Wolfman the real deal. I missed out an an EMCE Mummy, but I wasn't a fan of the wrappings on it anyways, while conversely the Mego Mummy has an adequate costume but a generic sculpt that I don't care for. I'd like to get a EMCE Frankenstein, but they must be rare because online they're exceedingly expensive, so if push comes to shove I could just get a Mego Frankie.

Also, with the new Wave 8 figures on their way, what do you think of the Mr Hyde? I wasn't really sold on it to begin with, and the more I see it the less I like it. The cheap outfit, splayed out discolored hands, the puzzling face sculpt. I think if I buy it, it would just be for the cool card art and top hat, and if possible find someone to make a custom Freddy March headsculpt, some repainted werewolf hands that can hold a potion or cane, and use a Mego Dracula as a chassis since the outfit matches perfectly.

While I was looking around, it seems like half the links to customizing resources are outdated, so if you know any places I can find fabrications or custom sculpts, let me know.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I think you could kitbash Sideshows to Mego with a rotary tool, XActo knife, and super/epoxy glues and putty.

Mego Hyde is a personal preference, I'm undecided but liking it a bit more lately.

The Escape Hatch hobbies offers resin heads and parts to customize Aurora-style monster models, and these parts can be adapted to custom Mego monsters, the scale is compatible.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Can't wait to get Hyde and the Fly, I am partial to knockoff type figures and the Mego almost legit monsters have that feel to them.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• scott metzger
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 9, 2007

Sideshows should be a good fit with some tweaking. THere are some of the old Aurora heads like the Phantom of the Opera and Dracula that aren't too far off scale-wise. Some of the others like Franky are only good if you are going for the 9.5" Mego bodies, though.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎