Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Collector Canine
    • Aug 21, 2020

Originally posted by Spectator
    If you're talking about the modern reproduction figures (as opposed to the TNG figures), they're excellent quality repros, IMO. And I love that they created a Chekov and Sulu with sculpts right in line with the vintage crew. For the modest price being asked, it's hard to imagine them being much better.

Congrats on the crispy-looking McCoy!
    Thank you! I'm very happy with him. I'm looking at both the reproductions of the TOS crew and the TNG crew. Sulu and Chekov are going for a lot on eBay right now, sadly...

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
    I'd go with the reissued Romulan as the next one, you won't be able to find an original complete for under $250.

Its also good to see new members, its what keeps this site alive. From your pov its exciting seeing whats out there and this place will teach you alot about vintage toys.
    Both of the modern line Romulans are very high on my list of ones to get. The Romulans are probably my favorite "enemy alien race" in TOS. I hope to learn a lot more about toys from before 1980! 80s and 90s toys are something I'm already extremely knowledgeable on, but 70s toys never interested me until I finally watched Star Trek during these past few months for obvious reasons and began researching Star Trek toys.

I was going to collect the 5'' Playmates figures from the 90s initially, then I found out how expensive the TOS crew from that line are and decided against it. I found this Mego McCoy for a price I thought was decent and picked him up after fawning over him for a week. I think my boyfriend got a bit annoyed. He's a huge TNG fan, but he isn't a toy collector. He does think the upcoming TNG figures look neat, though.

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
    I will stop on Saturday and see if they still have them. I’ll buy them and post pictures for you. You can decide what you want to do. I can even throw in a repro tricorder for free to tide you over. I have bought a couple original tricorders lately on eBay and the ones I got were $15 with free shipping. No harm if you aren’t interested. I needed a project anyway.
    Sounds pretty good to me! I honestly thought my McCoy had repro pants and the seller was lying when I bought him, but then I got him in hand and compared photos. He is actually entirely original vintage accessories and clothing, despite my early doubts. Point is: I don't mind repro parts.
    Last edited by Collector Canine; Aug 25, '20, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• shaunaconda
      Museum Super Collector
      • Mar 29, 2020

These figures are awesome!! I do like the Spock figure the best though.
      It’ll be cool when you have the whole crew.

Comment

• shaunaconda
        Museum Super Collector
        • Mar 29, 2020

Originally posted by Wee67
        Excellent first get!

Does anyone know who sculpted the Trek crew? Outside of Uhura, they are some of the best sculpts and paints Mego did.
        Yeah what happened there? It looks nothing like her, while the others look great.

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Great start.
          You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

Gateway drug for sure… welcome to a lifetime of Mego-fun!

Comment

• Collector Canine
              • Aug 21, 2020

Dr. McCoy's foil insignia has come loose! The Tricorder strap is holding in place, so I thankfully still have the foil itself in good shape. Does anyone know a good way to reapply the foil insignias?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Use a small paint brush and some Aileen's Tacky Glue or Elmer's Glue-All. Thin the glue a little with water if needed and paint it thinly onto the gray vinyl insignia base. Using tweezers, apply the foil on top of the glue and press into place with the brush handle or a clean fingertip. Let dry before replacing the tricorder.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  Use a small paint brush and some Aileen's Tacky Glue or Elmer's Glue-All. Thin the glue a little with water if needed and paint it thinly onto the gray vinyl insignia base. Using tweezers, apply the foil on top of the glue and press into place with the brush handle or a clean fingertip. Let dry before replacing the tricorder.
                  That’s great advice, just be very very careful using the tweezers removing the silver foil and replacing on the gray insignia base, the silver foil is delicate and old and can easily rip or tear.

Comment

• Collector Canine
                    • Aug 21, 2020

Originally posted by TrekStar
                    That’s great advice, just be very very careful using the tweezers removing the silver foil and replacing on the gray insignia base, the silver foil is delicate and old and can easily rip or tear.
                    The foil is completely separated from the gray plastic already, but it is still fully intact and I am doing everything in my power to make sure it stays intact. I will keep all of this in mind, though. Thank you.
                    Last edited by Collector Canine; Aug 26, '20, 8:04 PM.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 15, 2012

Collector Canine,
                      I picked up Kirk and Spock today. The figures and outfits are in excellent shape. Kirk is complete and looks all original. Spock has his original belt and phaser (some yellowing - common issue). The communicator and tricorder are reproduction. He was also missing the gray vinyl and foil insignia. I put a baremetal foil insignia on Spock. It lays slightly flatter without the vinyl under it, but is better than not having one! You have first shot at these. Let me know if you are interested. Otherwise, I will put them in the marketplace or eBay.

Comment

• Collector Canine
                        • Aug 21, 2020

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
                        Collector Canine,
                        I picked up Kirk and Spock today. The figures and outfits are in excellent shape. Kirk is complete and looks all original. Spock has his original belt and phaser (some yellowing - common issue). The communicator and tricorder are reproduction. He was also missing the gray vinyl and foil insignia. I put a baremetal foil insignia on Spock. It lays slightly flatter without the vinyl under it, but is better than not having one! You have first shot at these. Let me know if you are interested. Otherwise, I will put them in the marketplace or eBay.

I'm definitely interested in them!

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

These two figures really look nice, clean and crisp, good luck with your collection.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by Collector Canine
                            I'm definitely interested in them!
                            Sent you a PM about the figures.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Congrats on the start of your collection. The Mego Trek figures are some of their best work.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• scott metzger
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by sprytel
                                Oof... and suddenly I feel ancient. But I agree, it is a really nice figure.
                                Ancient? I predate action figures themselves by a year. Quit complaining, whipersnapper.

Seriously, it's good to see new folks getting into Megos. Just proves the appeal isn't limited to the 70's...
                                Last edited by scott metzger; Sep 2, '20, 1:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎