Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Collector Canine
    • Aug 21, 2020

My First Mego!

My very first 8'' Mego figure, Dr. McCoy from Star Trek, arrived today! He's so much better than I could have ever hoped for. This figure is older than both of my parents, yet it has blown me away! I'm so tempted to get the rest of the crew, but I really need to be watching my spending. This also has given me a bit more optimism for Mego's upcoming Ultraman figure at least being a decent one.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Congratulations! McCoy has become my favorite crewman.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Collector Canine
      • Aug 21, 2020

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Congratulations! McCoy has become my favorite crewman.
      Thank you! That's the whole reason I got him. He's my favorite member of the TOS crew and I decided that if I could only own one vintage Mego figure for a while, it was going to be him.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Collector Canine
        This figure is older than both of my parents, yet it has blown me away!
        Oof... and suddenly I feel ancient. But I agree, it is a really nice figure.

Comment

• Collector Canine
          • Aug 21, 2020

Originally posted by sprytel
          Oof... and suddenly I feel ancient. But I agree, it is a really nice figure.
          I'm sorry... I didn't mean to make anyone feel that way. I love how great the likeness to DeForest Kelley is on the head sculpt. It's fantastic for the 70s!

Comment

• ToyTalk
            Career Member
            • Mar 25, 2020

The Start Trek Megos are very well done. Great Score on Bones
            Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• Collector Canine
              • Aug 21, 2020

Originally posted by ToyTalk
              The Start Trek Megos are very well done. Great Score on Bones
              Thank you! I hope to eventually complete the crew, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Dr. McCoy was an excellent sculpt and although some may say, mego should have given Spock the raised eyebrow, McCoy is also a favorite crew member of mine as well.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Excellent first get!

Does anyone know who sculpted the Trek crew? Outside of Uhura, they are some of the best sculpts and paints Mego did.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 15, 2012

Congrats on your first Mego. He looks great for his age. Even has the foil on his insignia. If you do want to expand your Star Trek collection, I know a place that has decent (not as minty as yours) figures for around $20. They had Kirk and Spock last time I was there. Think Spock had a broken tricorder but otherwise complete. If you are interested, I would be willing to pick them up. I have been thinking of buying them and reselling them anyway Would sell for what I pay plus shipping.

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

Ha. You say that but every collection in the world started with just one.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Collector Canine
                        • Aug 21, 2020

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
                        Congrats on your first Mego. He looks great for his age. Even has the foil on his insignia. If you do want to expand your Star Trek collection, I know a place that has decent (not as minty as yours) figures for around $20. They had Kirk and Spock last time I was there. Think Spock had a broken tricorder but otherwise complete. If you are interested, I would be willing to pick them up. I have been thinking of buying them and reselling them anyway Would sell for what I pay plus shipping.
                        I'm definitely interested! I'm not interested in figures with broken or missing accessories, however. I don't feel like paying $30+ for a replacement vintage original Tricorder for Spock.

Originally posted by ScottA
                        Ha. You say that but every collection in the world started with just one.
                        Oh, trust me... I'm closely eying the modern Mego Star Trek figures and skeptically anticipating their upcoming Ultraman. Thinking about buying a Mego Batman as a gift for my boyfriend too.
                        Last edited by Collector Canine; Aug 24, '20, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Spectator
                          Museum Patron
                          • Feb 4, 2019

Originally posted by Collector Canine
                          I'm closely eying the modern Mego Star Trek figures
                          If you're talking about the modern reproduction figures (as opposed to the TNG figures), they're excellent quality repros, IMO. And I love that they created a Chekov and Sulu with sculpts right in line with the vintage crew. For the modest price being asked, it's hard to imagine them being much better.

Congrats on the crispy-looking McCoy!

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                            Permanent Member
                            • Sep 15, 2014

I'd go with the reissued Romulan as the next one, you won't be able to find an original complete for under $250.

Its also good to see new members, its what keeps this site alive. From your pov its exciting seeing whats out there and this place will teach you alot about vintage toys.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 15, 2012

[QUOTE=Collector Canine;1448169]I'm definitely interested! I'm not interested in figures with broken or missing accessories, however. I don't feel like paying $30+ for a replacement vintage original Tricorder for Spock.

I will stop on Saturday and see if they still have them. I’ll buy them and post pictures for you. You can decide what you want to do. I can even throw in a repro tricorder for free to tide you over. I have bought a couple original tricorders lately on eBay and the ones I got were $15 with free shipping. No harm if you aren’t interested. I needed a project anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎