X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Marooned

I'm having a heck of a lot of fun refurbishing a vintage AT Atomic Man, mixing two obtained in a lot to make one nice figure.

One thing I've noticed over the years as I've retouched figures: Brown is hard to match and adding some maroon often bumps it in the correct chromatic direction. True on vintage Mego Kirk hair rubs, too.

Anyone else have painting tips for vintage retouching?
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 18, '20, 7:18 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • knight errant00
    8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    Brown is hard to match and adding some maroon often bumps it in the correct chromatic direction. True on vintage Mego Kirk hair rubs, too.
    That is a tip worth noting -- would never have thought of it! Thanks!

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

very dissapointed that this thread is not about the Gregory Peck movie
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• knight errant00
        8 Inch Action Figure
        • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        very dissapointed that this thread is not about the Gregory Peck movie
        That was the firs thing I thought when I saw the headline -- I was expecting a bunch of 60s astronaut customs in various states of undone!

Comment

• scott metzger
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 9, 2007

I tried matching hair color years ago, but wound up just repainting the hair on my Mike, Oscar Goldman and Steve Austin from childhood. The real bugger with paint color is trying to match the flesh tone of the classic Megos. Getting just the right combo of Nutmeg brown, white, yellow and red takes a LONG time and lots of mixing and testing. I was able to paint up a partly grayed out OMBC head after finally getting a usable match, and it worked well.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎