Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else at a toy collecting crossroads?

Quote Originally Posted by Myoldtoys View Post
    You nailed it. That is another part of where i’m at that I didn’t mention. I don’t have any friends that share this hobby. No one else that can relate or I can share with in person. That is why I am on this forum. For that camaraderie. When I don’t interact with this group, it is just a bunch of stuff in the closet.
    i agree with you i have no friends that are into collecting vintage toys if it wasnt for the forum it would stuff in the closet

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    If you have tubs of stuff that you've forgotten, start with that, sell it and see how you feel.
    Good advice, I need to downsize a little.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 13, '20 at 5:16 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    last fall I started purging some stuff. I actually sold quite a bit before stopping for the holidays. but that barely made a dent in the stuff I have stuffed in closets. I had planned on selling more earlier this year, but then, you know, Covid happened. I didn't want to be going to the post office to mail things. I do plan on getting back to selling again, it just takes me a while to get motivated. I am rather lazy when it comes to selling stuff. it can be a real pain in the ***

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    Also, I find it salient to display 95% of what i own, otherwise I sell it. Not everybody has that luxury but it keeps me very honest.

If you have tubs of stuff that you've forgotten, start with that, sell it and see how you feel.
    I had a connection on display cases which I no longer have. I have some nice carded Super Powers, Batman and mego trek items that don't have a place right now. But its always good to collect what you like and can properly display.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Confessional View Post
    It's the hunt, the toy talk, new discoveries, our crazy theories, a space/place to share, the history, photos, creativity, etc. that really makes toy collecting enjoyable. The exchange of money for goods is awfully trite in the modern age and mostly void of such rewards. So without the proverbial *this,* which is driven by a sense of community and collaboration, you just own stuff.
    This is what has reinforced my collecting over the past two decades. I've only bought a few toys over the past two years, but I still come here and some of the Facebook groups to talk nostalgia. I'll get back into toys, but I just needed a break.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Due to the seriousness of Covid and other world events,I'm actually enjoying toys and comics more now as an escape. I was getting to a point of overwhelming stuff I have so like in my storage place I condensed a whole bunch of figures and dipped into reading old comics(the Stargirl show for instance got me into reading all star squadron and infinity inc

Images

SELL.

You need to know it's point. Is it an investment? A flip? A display piece? Nostalgia?

I have a ton of stuff I've been meaning to list for months. Has to be done. Sucks a boatload of time, but it has to be grinded out.

Once you get stuff moving out of the way, you'll feel better. It's like The Purge, but with plastic people.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hedrap View Post

It's like The Purge, but with plastic people.
    Love this comparison!

Images
    I haven't bought much since April, not many things are on my want list. I'm happy with what I already have (said no collector ever)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Marion View Post
    I haven't bought much since April, not many things are on my want list. I'm happy with what I already have (said no collector ever)
    You writing about not buying much prompted me to go check my eBay purchase history. Couple of broken GI Joe figures for repair projects, 2 x 3.75 mego draco‘s (carded one I bought was all rusty. Bought second to transfer cape to), knievel helmet to replace another, original stunt cycle instructions, and an original mego tricorder for uhura. Very short amount of enjoyment from those items.

This weekend might be rainy. If so, I will take the advice and start looking through for things to sell.