Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

I never understood why they didn't make deals with libraries in modern day. I see kids reading sub-part "graphic novels" from Scholastic in schools.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

TPBs and GNs are definitely available in many libraries. My wife was a children's librarian until a few months ago, and our small-town library had quite a variety of all-ages and adult-oriented books.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

It was actually the merger itself. The acquisition of debt was too much for ATT. They've been under the gun since the start to shed weight and streamline. The pandemic made it easier to see where the hit points were. DC was going to be turned into a YA/Digital division with or without Covid.

Originally posted by MRP
        The other thing to remember about this is that it is not about DC Comics. This is part of a much larger restructuring of AT&T/Warner as a whole. Hundreds, if not thousands fo people lost their jobs throughout Warner/AT&T, not just at DC. The root cause of the restructuring was not about comics, it was about the loss of billions in revenue because of the shutdown of theatres and the delays/shutdowns of movie and TV productions that will delay or reduce future revenue streams as well, and the stumbling out of the block of the roll out of HBO Max. Certainly DC was a part of the restructuring, but it wasn't abut DC and it wasn't about comics. It didn't happen because newsstand sales were shrinking or DC Comics sales were sluggish, it happened because the entertainment industry as a whole took a gut punch and Warner/AT&T was not positioned well to endure it, and are now scrambling to fins ways to rework ans redirect what they do to succeed in the new reality of what the entertainment market is. Again, comics and publishing are part of that, but what happened/is happening is not about comics.

-M

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

While as a occasional reader of comics and a collector of stuff, I feel frustrated by the news of what's happening at DC, I really feel for those who not only lost jobs, but many lost dream jobs they can't replace. Most of us would give their right arm to work at DC or WB. And while some will find roles with other media outlets eventually, most will have to take a job working for an insurance company or something, which just isn't the same rush. And even then, they'll have to wait a while because suddenly the job market sucks.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Not unexpected, but Jim Lee confirms that DC content is moving from DC Universe to HBO Max:

In a not-so-surprising confirmation, Jim Lee has confirmed that the original content on DC Universe will be migrating to HBO Max. In a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter about the state of D…

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

It's not like the books they are publishing are just not that good...both DC and Marvel. Hey let's do another reboot....6 months later, let's do yet another reboot. It's just very tired and it does nothing but make things more confusing between which universe....what numbering. It's no wonder that Independent titles and companies are thriving while the big 2 are tanking. Here's a suggestion to the big 2:

Cut all of the Batman, Superman, X-Men, Spider-Man related titles. You've diluted the story telling for the past 30 + years with MULTIPLE TITLES and related titles. ENOUGH!

Bring the price of comic books back down to $2 - $3 per book. It costs them nothing to publish these books. Between the deal that they both have with Diamond, well DC is no longer with Diamond, and the ads in the books...it probably costs less than $1 to publish the book. Hell, it might be less than 50 cents. This way they can keep all the variant cover BS that they are doing and still bring the prices down.

Give the older, more reliable / steady, collectors something, anything, that might be a flashback of the old continuity. Something like the did with the Avengers series 1.1, 1.2, etc. The one that was the story between issue 15 and 16 of the Silver Age Avengers. I'm tired of all the retcon crap that Donny Cates or a few others have been doing. Stuff that literally has nothing to do with the original version of that character that was retconned in the first place.

There is more they can do and DC actually did something that should have done a long time ago...F Diamond. Walk away when it comes to renew an exclusivity contract. It's not like Diamond does anything for the comic book shop owners but give them agita. "Sorry, quantities have been allocated" "Oh, the cutoff date for getting more copies of that book was last week... Store Owner: "I just got the email today....how the hell is that possible??!!??" They know they have the store owners by the balls...so they play on that. Time to end the monopoly.

DC has done this to themselves in my opinion. Get some staff that actually has picked up a comic book or was a fan of comic books at one point in their lives. That goes for both companies. You have a bunch of bean counters that have no idea what they are doing and it's been that way since probably the late 80's early 90's. Just not that surprised that this is happening...just surprised this didn't happen 20 years ago after the last crash that almost took down Marvel. You think DC would have learned from Marvel's mistakes. Guess not.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎