Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toy-Ventures: Maskatron (Kenner Six Million Dollar Man)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Maskatron (Kenner Six Million Dollar Man)

Toy-Ventures this week looks at what we believe to be the greatest villain action figure of the 1970s and perhaps the best action figure of the decade as well.Kenner's Maskatron, the robotic face changing robot from Kenner's Six Million Dollar Man toy line is a wonderful bit of toy magic when some licenses a property but takes artistic license (anticipate a callback joke) and sets out to also make a toy with tremendous play value.
    Bionic Jump over to our facebook group PodStallions:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/podstallions

Toy-Ventures Magazine is coming this month:
    https://plaidstallions.com/reboot/magazine/

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Absolutely brilliant figure. The entire line is fantastic. To me it stresses the importance of licensing a toyetic property. A cyborg secret agent superhero is just full of win. It is a play value cornucopia.

On that point I am often gobsmacked by the licenses people often request to get made. A good show doesn't always translate into a good toy. Ross Geller and Phil Fish don't make fun toys. Steve Austin does.

I'm also not fan of hyper realistic dolls. I don't want or need to see every pore, wart and scar done in excruciating detail. While I admire the artistry of something like a Hot Toys I have no desire to own any. I like toys to look like toys. A little caricature and stylization. I don't want something that looks like a shrunken living human on my shelf.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
      I'm also not fan of hyper realistic dolls. I don't want or need to see every pore, wart and scar done in excruciating detail. While I admire the artistry of something like a Hot Toys I have no desire to own any. I like toys to look like toys. A little caricature and stylization. I don't want something that looks like a shrunken living human on my shelf.
      Well-said, I agree.

I enjoyed this video a lot, Maskatron and the entire line was a childhood favorite which, sadly, I doubt I can collect now.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 24, 2020

mint in box examples are going towards the 600 range the whole line has shot up in value!

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

“And a plunger!”.....made me spit out my tea laughing.
          This is my favourite video you’ve done Brian, really gets me with the timing of John Saxons passing and my love for this toy. Well done.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

The plunger was the result of Maskatron having strategic liaisons with emissaries from the Dalek Empire.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! I never had Maskatron, only owning Steve and his Mission to Mars suit as a very young kid. But man, you really highlighted how insanely fun this toy must be. It was fun drawing a riff on this guy in the Super Collector comic all those years back now.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• tatsunokofan
                • Dec 5, 2019

Maskatron was indeed a great toy! That he had an Oscar Goldman mask was greatly appreciated by younger me, since it gave me the opportunity to have Oscar interact with Steve. And once Oscar himself came out, having Maskatron kidnap and replace Oscar also came into play.

Thinking back on it, it's a shame that Kenner didn't make any accessory sets for Maskatron. They could have given him new specialty arms and legs, a new outfit, and, of course, new masks! I'd have been thrilled if they'd given him a Rudy Wells mask, along with a couple of new faces. Like perhaps an bearded face and an ape face... :-)

James
                Last edited by tatsunokofan; Aug 9, '20, 1:33 PM.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

I never had Maskatron as a kid so I was seriously skeptical when you dubbed him the greatest villain action figure of the 70s. Watching this video convinced me he is at least top 5! I love Steve can literally knock his head off. It's even on the package!
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• shaunaconda
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Mar 29, 2020

Maskatron is awesome, one of the best figures ever! Fembot is really cool too. Maybe even a creepier face, she just didn’t have all the other cool features of Maskatron.
                    I think she even goes for more on eBay than Maskatron.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎