Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Adventure Team GI Joes. I had one, a talking commander, but rarely played with him. Now I really enjoy 12" Joes, but when I was a child I loved Megos!
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Hmm, things I didn't like, that either I or friends or cousins had in the 70s

Sit and Spin (I didn't like getting dizzy)
      the bouncy ball with a handle you were supposed to ride (I'd rather take my Big Wheel or just plain walk)
      Lite Brite (I'd rather just draw my own stuff)
      Spirograph (same as above)
      Colorforms (seemed limited to play with and I'd rather draw my own stuff)
      Presto Magix (same as above)
      Styrofoam or balsa wood gliding airplanes (I'll just pass)
      kites (again pass)
      Slip and Slide (I'd rather just run through the sprinkler or use the slide at the park or on a swing set)
      Shrinky Dinks (um okay, what exactly was the point? just give me some paper and let me draw those characters)
      bubbles (I can get the same effect with some dish soap, so why did we spend money on this?)
      Barrel of Monkey/Pick Up sticks (um why are we spilling these if we just have to pick them up again?)
      Erector Set/Lincoln Logs (minimal interest in these until I discovered Legos, then no interest at all)

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• shaunaconda
        Museum Super Collector
        • Mar 29, 2020

Originally posted by Wee67
        Opposite for me. 8" seemed to be the proper size so the toy I never got into was (GASP!) Star Wars figures!! SETTLE DOWN, SETTLE DOWN. More than the size, I was really struck by the SW figures lack of articulation, especially compared to my beloved Megos.

There. I said it. I feel so much better.
        Exactly!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

One thing that was big with a lot of kids around here was big Tonka trucks, and die-cast tractors, like ones made by Ertl. I appreciated the heft and weight of them...but why did I want to aspire to hard labor in my play? The lack of fantasy really turned me off. I won't say I didn't enjoy moving some dirt around with my friends' trucks, but I never wanted any for myself. After about 10 minutes of play, I was good for a life time.

Chris
          Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Aug 6, '20, 7:56 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Garbage Pail Kids or any of the '80s "gross toys" fad.

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

never was a matchbox or hot wheels kid either.

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

Well I thought over this a bit, and honestly a lot of what has been mentioned I would play with. Hotwheels, trains, slot cars were always a favorite. Action figures, Mego, GiJoe, Star Wars for sure. Building toys, Legos, building model cars and aircraft and such too.

I didn't have any brothers or sisters, so I guess any of those multi-player toys, including board games, didn't work well for me, but I liked them nonetheless. I got real good at some sports stuff, baseball, catching the ball off the roof, or tennis hitting against our shed.
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• knight errant00
                  8 Inch Action Figure
                  • Nov 15, 2005

Was never big on sports toys.

And hold your collective gasp -- I never really saw the fun in monster toys, either. With a choice between Batman or Dracula (or even Action Jackson or the Werewolf), I always went for the hero.

Originally posted by Mikey
                  Cap guns
                  Even as a kid I thought they were useless noisemakers
                  I LOVED my cap guns. I was a huge Lone Ranger fan when I was little (like under 6) and my double holster belt and matching pistols and cowboy hat are some of the clearest toy memories I have pre-GI Joe and Mego.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Tough one for me, I mean I had little phases where I liked diecast cars and tonka trucks but they got abandoned as i got older and i super don't care now.

I'd have to say Sports Toys as well, zero interest in electronic football or the hockey games that were in every basement growing up (always missing the puck).

Oh and Johnny West I guess but that's mainly because all the kids that i knew who had him (mostly gained from older brothers) would try and introduce them into play with Mego figures. I really didn't want some giant cowboy beating on Superman. I honestly remember telling one kid to put him away as I had just received a brand new Superman.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Madballs, Bogglins and stuff of that ilk. Crappy movie prop toys

Comment

• powersthatbe
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 27, 2010

never was into role playing toys. but I did play with toy lightsabers and web shooters.

Comment

• acrovader
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by Wee67
                          Opposite for me. 8" seemed to be the proper size so the toy I never got into was (GASP!) Star Wars figures!! SETTLE DOWN, SETTLE DOWN. More than the size, I was really struck by the SW figures lack of articulation, especially compared to my beloved Megos.

There. I said it. I feel so much better.
                          Yeah, but the 8" (and larger) line of figures had a paltry assortment of vehicles and play sets. Micronauts & RAH G.I. Joe owned those lines in spades. And in some cases, even in articulation. Plus many of the pre-Star Wars action figure lines were largely bereft of (cool) villains. And even if Star Wars was done in 8", there probably wouldn't of been as many figures and we would've not have the vehicles/play sets that were any better than the 3.75" sized figures had.
                          I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

Micronauts. (Blasphemy!! I know, I know...) They looked so cool, and I had a few, but they were way too fragile and I lost parts, broke parts, they would get so floppy they wouldn’t even stand. I much preferred Star Wars figures, they could take a beating!

I didn’t really care for Transformers either. I had a few little ones, and they were neat I guess, but I never really got into them.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 27, 2010

I agree,micronauts is a cool concept but the toys themselves felt cheap,fragile and broke easily.

Comment

• Confessional
                                Maker & Whatnot
                                • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                                Micronauts. (Blasphemy!! I know, I know...) They looked so cool, and I had a few, but they were way too fragile and I lost parts, broke parts, they would get so floppy they wouldn’t even stand. I much preferred Star Wars figures, they could take a beating!

I didn’t really care for Transformers either. I had a few little ones, and they were neat I guess, but I never really got into them.
                                ^^ The same experience for me! Had a friend to who filled a basement playroom with Micronauts, but it was so taxing to pull everything out, try to reassemble, and then divide for play. I do really appreciate their designs and history now as an adult. I did and still do dislike Transformers.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎