Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Junior, go to the Wawa and pick me up a pack of Virginia Slims menthol in a soft.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Wow, I remember the Mr. Bones candy and the Gold Rush gum well!

Usually, any spare coins which came my way would go on Topps trading cards or comic books.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

Definitely made cigarette runs for my folks to a little corner joint called "Jiffy Stop". Mainly remember getting a pack or two of trading cards out of each of those deals. Still have most of the sports cards, but the TV and Movie ones are long gone. I seem to forget what a big part of my childhood those simple little cards were.

"Jiffy Stop" was on the far South side of town at that time. Today, there's a McDonald's on that lot and tons of homes and businesses South of that corner for about two miles. 40 plus years will do that!

Edited to add: Did a quick search and found out the lady that owned and ran the business died about 2 years ago. She made it to 93 years old.
      Last edited by Makernaut; Aug 6, '20, 3:17 PM.

Comment

• tay666
        Career Member
        • Dec 27, 2008

I remember those days. Going up to the corner gas station for smokes for mom and dad.
        After a couple trips, you didn't need a note anymore. Back then, I would probably get a pop, or a candy bar.
        A little later in life when I would have to go to Lawson's for their smokes, the change would either go for a pack of Star Wars cards, a comic book, or a can of Shasta.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Oh, meant to add... Tahitian Treat was delicious. We need to bring that stuff back.

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

I grew up in North Carolina, and there was a big push in the 1990s to stop people sending kids on cigarette runs. Such is the effect of living in tobacco country.
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by sprytel
              Oh, meant to add... Tahitian Treat was delicious. We need to bring that stuff back.
              I thought it was still around? well I guess Canada Dry let the trademark go or sold it. Its a Dollar General product now.
              Last edited by thunderbolt; Aug 9, '20, 5:38 PM.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                The mom.

was she hot?

Comment

• rykerw1701
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 27, 2007

First, I'll admit I clicked on this link because it said "WaWa." I live outside Philly, so of course I love WaWa. Anyway, as I kid I used to go into a place called Fischer's Newsroom in the bustling metropolis of Albion, NY, which is in Western NY. A pack or two of Camels for my dad, and either Wacky Packages, football cards or comic books for me. Best part was the comics were right next to the girlie magazines, so you'd take a slow, casual stroll past them to get to Amazing Spider-Man. I believe the hot mom Brian mentioned was on the cover of several of them.

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                    First, I'll admit I clicked on this link because it said "WaWa." I live outside Philly, so of course I love WaWa.
                    It's difficult to explain to people the glories of Wawa. After all, it is just a convenience store... or is it?
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Wee67
                      It's difficult to explain to people the glories of Wawa. After all, it is just a convenience store... or is it?
                      Wawa has a cultural significance that goes beyond its functionality as a mere convenience store. It's like In-N-Out Burger on the West Coast is more than a place to get burgers.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Wawa gets mentioned a lot on the Goldbergs.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎