Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Junior, go to the Wawa and pick me up a pack of Virginia Slims menthol in a soft.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Hey Junior, go to the Wawa and pick me up a pack of Virginia Slims menthol in a soft.

So 1978 mom gives you a buck or two to go to the corner store to get her a pack of smokes. What do you buy with the change?
    I'm probably going to with a pressed powder candy like Mr Bones or Wacky Wafers, a bag of Gold Rush gum and a Tahitian Treat soda. You know, a balanced meal.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

First of all, wha!? Where did you live where little kids could buy cigarettes!? That was a thing?

When I had pocket change I'd get gum cards or comics.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Werewolf
      First of all, wha!? Where did you live where little kids could buy cigarettes!? That was a thing?
      I'm obviously a little older than you Back in the dark ages, when I was a kid... in the 70s kids could easily buy cigarettes at the store. Or you could just as easily use one of those cigarette vending machines at the bowling alley. I don't think they started stopping child purchases until the 80s. My mom stopped smoking around '79, so I'm not sure how long it continued.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I ended up working at the same Variety store I went to as a kid, we were stopped accepting notes around 1989. I had one exception, two girls I knew from school whose mum smoked menthols (and ushered one or more of my friends into manhood).
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Wee67
          in the 70s kids could easily buy cigarettes at the store. Or you could just as easily use one of those cigarette vending machines at the bowling alley.
          Wowzers, my parents never smoked, so I had no idea.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

My 4th grade teacher moonlighted as a cashier in his family owned mom and pop general store.

He used to sell me cigs when I was 14-ish

Mom didn't smoke - the cigs were for me

Very cool teacher, BTW

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I forgot to mention my mom was kinda protective when I was little so even if the podunk area I grew up in had a bowling alley I wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near it.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

lol I used to go get my dad cartons at the drug store with no problems, everybody knew everybody in town so it didn't matter. I usually got a buck's worth of comics for my trouble. Even better my mom was a type 1 diabetic and used to have to take daily injections. I was the mule for syringes and insulin.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I had one exception, two girls I knew from school whose mum smoked menthols (and ushered one or more of my friends into manhood).
                  Wait... the sisters or the mom did the ushering?

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by sprytel
                    Wait... the sisters or the mom did the ushering?
                    The mom.

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                      The mom.
                      If it was a sister it would've been ushering. If it was mom, manhood would've been inflicted on them.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
                        If it was a sister it would've been ushering. If it was mom, manhood would've been inflicted on them.
                        We were all drawn to that house for the ushering but some of us were willingly inflicted. Not me but we were very friendly and I still wave to her now and then.

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

I forgot to mention Wacky Packages. I would easily trade out the gum for Wacky Packages.

Comment

• msenger76
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 3, 2009

Local grocery store would sell us smokes for the neighbors as long as we had a note. That was as late as 1986

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

My Dad had quit smoking by the time I was born, but still chewed tobacco for a few years. I do remember the cigarette vending machines. There was one at the local Dairy Queen, near the high school. Go figure.

I was often sent to the drugstore up the street on errands. One hot summer day my Dad gave me enough change to go buy 4 soda pops from the vending machine, but instead I bought this:

When I came back with this comics digest, a bit of change, and no soda pops, I got a firm talking to about responsibility. Obviously it still stuck! I was sent back to the store with more change...but I did get to keep the comic!

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎