X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: The Waltons

Yeah, I’m doing the Waltons episode, even though I don’t collect the toyline or enjoy the show itself, let’s defend Mego’s decision to make a Waltons toy line in 1975. PS the Sunshine Family legit scared me as a kid. MegoMuseum Forums: http://www.megomuseum.com/community/ MegoMania Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/megomania/ Visit the MegoMuseum Waltons Gallery Here http://www.megomuseum.com/galleries/the-waltons/…

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I appreciate your (slightly begrudging lol) showcase of this line, and your "terror of the Sunshine Family" should become a meme.

I'm an unabashed fan of the show and toys. I want Ike and Corabeth, even more siblings! Excellent sculpts, too--better than most of Happy Days.

I'm impressed that you mention the box variation--I prefer the single boxes and it was a minor challenge to collect those. The truck is indeed great, and though I've never wanted the farmhouse, the store looks terrific and I do love playsets.

And think of the boon to customizers because of The Waltons and Oz! You can make a nice Chekov or Mordred from John-Boy.

Thanks, Pal.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 3, '20, 6:29 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

I am a big fan of the Waltons, I watched the show every week back in the day and now have the complete series on dvd.

I did not collect mego Waltons as a kid, I honestly never saw them at the local toy stores, they weren’t with the Star Trek, POTA or WGSH figures, but most likely they we’re in the girls toys aisles, which I never explored, so there you have it.

I now have mego Waltons but sadly not the truck, maybe someday though, and I also would like to see the rest of the family along with friends and neighbors and of course John Ritter who played the reverend, he can preach a sermon then chase Janet and Chrissy around, how cool is that?

Comment

• alex
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 15, 2009

Didnt realise regarding the variants, its a nice toy line, especially the truck. I was lucky to snag a MIB store around 7 years ago. Your docs. really should be attached within the gallery for each line

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! We watched The Waltons regularly at our house, and I'm honestly kind of surprised my sister didn't have any of these.

The Sunshine Family and stuffed John Boy bits were hilarious! My Barbie-collecting wife got a chuckle out of the creepy Sunshines. Brrr!!!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

The Waltons are really nicely done and licensing it did make a strong business sense. But from a kid's escapism play value perspective it doesn't. Re-enacting grinding poverty in depression era rural America isn't fun, it's depressing. So it's not surprising that adult doll collectors gravitated towards it and kids really didn't.

And yes the Sunshine Family are a bit creepy. But not Kenner Dusty scary. That's a doll you did NOT want to get as present.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• toyhunter1970
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 24, 2020

I watch the Waltons on Metv everyday but this toy line just not my cup of tea

Comment

• Falstaff13
                Persistent Member
                • May 28, 2008

I've been one of those who has questioned going for this line, as it does seem like an odd choice, but your reasons all make sense. I think had they gone for Little House on the Prairie it might have clicked a little more, as that frontier works fairly well with the Western line (having the covered wagon for the Ingalls would have easily transferred), but it's a very well made line. I've thought several times about getting the store as a "General Store" display piece for western figures (only a few items should be hidden for it to fit the time).

Thanks for another fun video.
                Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• RonnyG
                  Career Member
                  • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Falstaff13
                  I've been one of those who has questioned going for this line, as it does seem like an odd choice, but your reasons all make sense. I think had they gone for Little House on the Prairie it might have clicked a little more, as that frontier works fairly well with the Western line (having the covered wagon for the Ingalls would have easily transferred), but it's a very well made line. I've thought several times about getting the store as a "General Store" display piece for western figures (only a few items should be hidden for it to fit the time).

Thanks for another fun video.
                  I could never get into The Waltons as a kid. I always thought, the Waltons were aimed more towards adults. I think Little House on the Prairie appealed to kids, and it should've been marketed more. We all talked about the show at school (mostly the girls did, the boys were too proud to admit it), and it got me interested in reading the books, and my 5th grade teacher did lessons plans around it.
                  The 2 shows get compared a lot, even though one show took place during the Depression, and the other during the Wild West.
                  Last edited by RonnyG; Aug 4, '20, 3:04 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

"Little House" was popular with my older sister and I think it would have succeeded if they tied horses into the toy line.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I could never tolerate Little House. An hour each week of Half-Pint, grating Mrs. Olsen, and blindness.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        I could never tolerate Little House.
                        Ha, yeah, it never really clicked with me either.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          I could never tolerate Little House. An hour each week of Half-Pint, grating Mrs. Olsen, and blindness.
                          Little House didn’t much appeal to me either, I could not stomach Mrs. Olsen or her daughter Nellie, the son was an irritating brat and the husband was henpecked.

The only slight appeal for me was Michael Landon, only because he was Little Joe to me and I thought the wife Caroline was quite attractive, didn’t much like the kids though.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                            One eyed, wonder
                            • Dec 17, 2009

How did this fine thread turn into Little House? I lost an eye, watching all that blindness!

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                              One eyed, wonder
                              • Dec 17, 2009

That store had a barber shop in it!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡