X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

1969 Adventurers hair colors?

Curious about the hair colors on the 1969 Adventurers releases. Are they specific to the figure's specialty? For example, is the Aquanaut always blond and the Land Adventurer always brunet?

I checked Vintage 3d Joes but it doesn't mention variants except the "Negro Adventurer" and his uniform.

Thanks.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

As far as I know,it should be like with the painted hair. I also checked Vintage 3D Joes. It's hard to see but on the side of the Aquanaut box,they show him with dark hair.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I guess I'm confused because I don't know how the hair color was distributed in '64-'68. I have my own internal way of assigning it (sailor/red, soldier/brown, Marine/black, pilot-astronaut/blond). But of course the figures were assorted and I wondered if that carried into 1969 --because I've only seen pictures of blond Aquanauts.

I will double-check 3d Joes as you suggest, thanks.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

I've never seen any indication the hair colors were specific on the 1969 figures. I feel the auburn hair color was distributed more than the previous years, but that's only been my personal observation.

Also you will occasionally find Adventure Team heads with the lifelike hair that actually hides a painted hair head underneath. Hasbro flocked over the remaining painted hair heads they had in stock when they did the transition.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

my fantasy 69 Airman has white hair ala Race Bannon. I am assuming it was blond and turned white. Happens to the best of us. The two actual 69 guys I have Aquanaut came red hair and the Adventurer came black hair I am assuming they are originals and not reassembled.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

That's good to know, I'm guessing it was random until the flocking bacame standard.

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

I will say that the original owner boxed Aquanaut I have is a blonde.
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

The club reissue Aquanaut was blond, too. I contacted Vintage 3D Joes' webmaster on this, too--awaiting a reply.

Edit: Vintage 3D Joes' webmaster indicates they were assorted.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 2, '20, 8:21 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

I've seen Blonde and Black haired astronauts too.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• rykerw1701
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 27, 2007

There are also blonde haired Man of Action figures, too. I think they had their rules, but save cost was the first one. Whatever they had laying around had to be used. Makes it both maddening and fun for collectors. It's really no different than much of what Mego did.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎