X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Sgt. Rock...a new collecting adventure!

I've admired these for years...never owned any as a kid, but fondly remember the comic book ads and Christmas catalog photos.
    So I decided to take the plunge...they're relatively inexpensive and actually quite detailed. Funny how many Joe collectors call them knockoffs when they actually came first, beating ARAH by a full year.

Last edited by enyawd72; Aug 1, '20, 11:10 PM.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

The 1981 on the backs of the figures is not the release date. Masters of the Universe figures were also stamped 1981 even though they weren't released until 82. I don't believe The Sgt. Rock figures hit the market until RAH did in 82.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Red Hulk
      Career Member
      • Dec 19, 2012

I had Two of these guys when I was a kid Sgt Rock and Ranger.I always thought they were cool.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I never had these as a kid but found myself collecting them as an adult, it was that Joe Kubert card art I tells ya!
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Besides Rock himself, did they make any of the actual Easy Company characters from the comics? Bulldozer, Wild Man, Ice Cream Soldier, etc?

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            Besides Rock himself, did they make any of the actual Easy Company characters from the comics? Bulldozer, Wild Man, Ice Cream Soldier, etc?

Chris
            I don't think so...I'm still researching the line but it looks like they are all generic soldiers. There are dozens of variations of most characters also, different figures with the same name, the same figure with different names...it's all very confusing.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, that's what I recall. Honestly, it's what put me off of them back in the day, because all I ever saw were fairly "generic" soldiers. I can appreciate them for what they are now, but back then, they weren't "Sgt. Rock" enough. But it's been 40 years now, and they are nice military-style figures, made by a company that is important in the history of toys, so they definitely deserve some love!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

If Sgt. Rock is a separate license than the superheroes... and it clearly, it at least WAS... I wonder if Mego has explored it. It seems like its mix of comic and military would be popular with toy collectors. And I don't think much has been done other than the Remco line, which as mentioned, bares little resemblance to the comic beyond the name and card art.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I think Cotsworld did those GI Joe Rock/Blackhawk/DC Military collector dolls about 15 years ago or so. And there's at least one DC Direct figure of Rock (which I own). That's about it.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• powersthatbe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 27, 2010

i had a few as a kid and a playset had fun with them. I have the 13 inch DC Direct Sgt Rock.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

Those are cool.

I'm not sure if the ones I had were from the same line, but I liked the Remco martial arts guy for the Enemy side, and I had another bad guy that I think had something similar to a German World War II submachine-gun.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎