X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
    Gi Joe Classified is kind of going against that trend. Every character is done by a different artist in a different style.
    Yeah, that's actually nice when something is able to get some creative freedom.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• shazam7208
      Career Member
      • Oct 28, 2008

These look great....LOVE the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman cards!

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

I've been working on my own classic cardback designs...taking inspiration from Super Powers, 1970's comics, and Toy Biz. I'm going to do an entire series of both DC and Marvel.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I really bemoan the death of individuality thanks to style guides. As much as I love Super Powers, it was really the first marketing campaign I recall where ALL Products in the line shared a very similar look. From the core product, the Kenner figures, all the way through to rack toys like sunglasses by NASTA. Of course, the design is colorful and exciting, and uses the gorgeous style guide artwork of Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (Praised Be His Name) for the most part, so I'm not complaining. But under lesser hands, that consistent branding can become a pair of handcuffs, choking the life out of any line of products... which is pretty much what has happened since then. DC's current style guide look is deadly dull.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

It's a weird thing. I don't mind a uniform look if it's interesting. Like Secret Wars was quite bland. All that was missing was something like Dwayne just showed with his custom work, a solid comic image.

For something modern, I don't mind the Trek uniformity but there's something bland about it. Then you have the NECA stuff which are posters as box art. Some of it, like the Godzilla line, is so nice that it looks like the figure is supposed to remain inside as a diorama piece.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              I really bemoan the death of individuality thanks to style guides. As much as I love Super Powers, it was really the first marketing campaign I recall where ALL Products in the line shared a very similar look. From the core product, the Kenner figures, all the way through to rack toys like sunglasses by NASTA. Of course, the design is colorful and exciting, and uses the gorgeous style guide artwork of Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (Praised Be His Name) for the most part, so I'm not complaining. But under lesser hands, that consistent branding can become a pair of handcuffs, choking the life out of any line of products... which is pretty much what has happened since then. DC's current style guide look is deadly dull.

Chris
              So true...that's one thing I have to give Super7. Their ReAction figure card art is simply stunning, and part of the entire product. That's why I don't mind paying more for their figures.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
                Yeah, I was aware of the irony of damning style guides and praising the first "boutique look" brand but it was really gorgeous and that's why it's still in play today.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 3, 2009

as promised here are the final details as i received them ,price and ordering information for any interested parties

[QUOTEPALITOY / KENNER - Christopher Reeve Superman figure - UPDATE #2

I wanted to let you know that the price for the 3D printed Christopher Reeve Superman figure has now been finalised. I’ve obtained prints from three different sources and selected the best quality version which does the sculpt justice with minimal visible print layers. The final version is being printed in SLA White Resin with a 0.5mm layer thickness. The cape is solid but the figure is hollow and has two drain holes on the back of the shoulder blades (completely hidden when the cape is put onto it) and there are also two drain holes at the bottom of the feet which perfectly matches the foot peg holes that were included on all of the original Kenner action figures.

Unfortunately, despite having lots of painters expressing an interest in working on the project with me, none of them have confirmed they will do it, so I have decided to offer it as a grey primed version only and will have to let the customer source a painter (or paint the figure themselves) as I don’t want to delay the project any further trying to find a painter.

************************************************** **************

OPTION 1 – GREY PRIMED FIGURE, CAPE, PACKAGING CARD WITH PLASTIC BUBBLE:

Grey primed figure and cape = $80 USD.

Finished card & bubble = $15 USD each (if choosing more than one card). There is a choice of either Kenner or Palitoy cards.

Chest emblem waterslide decal + cape emblem sticker = $7 USD.

Shipping (Royal Mail International Tracked & Signed) = $13.50 USD.

Total cost = $120 USD. ($115.50 + 4% Paypal fees).

************************************************** **************

OPTION 2 – GREY PRIMED FIGURE AND CAPE ONLY:

Grey primed figure and cape = $80 USD.

Chest emblem waterslide decal + cape emblem sticker = $7 USD.

Shipping (Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed) = $10 USD.

Total cost = $101 USD. ($97 + 4% Paypal fees).

************************************************** ***************

My contact and paypal address is: chris.king2@blueyonder.co.uk

Upon receipt of payment, the wait time will be no more than 2 weeks as the 3D printer is very quick to turn these around. Once received, I will clean up the support marks and give a fine coat of grey primer and if cards are ordered too, I will make them to order.

You may be interested to know that I got a print from Shapeways and their cost for just the figure and cape was $135 USD (incl shipping), but the quality of the print was not as good as the one I am offering for $80 USD.

Please confirm which option you’d like to go for. If you want to order more of the Superhero cards for other characters, let me know which ones and I can send an updated total.

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks again for your interest.

][/QUOTE]

Final-Superman-Figure Print-Aug2020.jpg

Final;-Superman-Carded-Aug2020.jpg

Final-Kenner-Superman II-Front-and-Back-Aug2020.jpg

Final-Kenner-Superman-Front-and-Back-Aug2020.jpg

just to add these are available in both kenner or palitoy versions

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 3, 2009

well heres a update for any interested in owning this project
                    i got mine yesterday ,worth every penny it cost , from the care and detail and dare i say love love that has been put into this project ,from the design to the detail to the craftsmanship ,to the super care taken over the packing of the product when it was sent out ,

solid gold all the way

so glad this guy embarked on this project and disappointed for him that the uptake wasn't what he expected ,but as i said before these really are going to be a must have for any reeve fan or superman fan in general ,and will be sought after in the fandom when word gets out about these get out to even general non figure collecting fans ,but they would probably need to be offered painted

if these had been brought to the attention of jim bowers who owns amongst his other reeve collectables this website devoted to the reeve films https://www.capedwonder.com/ im sure exposure there would have increased the uptake
                    anyway this was a excellent project and excellent service ,and for any on the fence about these , as a boutique figure its reasonably priced and i can't recommend these and the service more highly first class all the way ,get them while you can ,heres his contact details chris.king2@blueyonder.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎