X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

kenner palitoy classic 5 point super hero figures

a talented guy over on the sideshow boards has this project on the go ,thought a few over here may be interested in them ,

above cards with placeholder figures
    card backs

Here is the finished render of the Chris Reeve Superman figure. This will stand at 10.7cm (4.22 inches) tall when printed. The yellow emblem on the back of the cape will be added as a die-cut sticker. The original cape emblem was sewn on top of the red cape fabric, so there didn't seem to be any point sculpting the emblem into the cape model. I think the die-cut sticker will be a perfect representation of how it looked on the full size costume.

hes getting superman printed out before going forward with the proposed articulation

here a link to the full thread should any want more information or possible contact details

Hi all, I've spent some time during lockdown working on some artwork for an upcoming project which is going to be a custom 3.75 inch Christopher Reeve Superman figure. For this, I intend to mount the figure onto my Palitoy inspired artwork. I wanted something that would well and truly fit in...
    Last edited by libby 1957dog; Aug 1, '20, 7:23 AM.
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

printed test shot without articulation

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Your link works, but no pictures are showing.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 3, 2009

hey thanks for the heads up scott ,no idea why that should be the case ,ill try to reload them again

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

You're welcome, I like the backer cards and am interested in the printed figure.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 3, 2009

20200801_115826-1.jpg

Palitoy Cardbacks-Option1 (1).jpg

okay tried a couple more times ,hopefully these work ,failing that the pictures ,progress and his contact details are all in this thread ,link below
            Hi all, I've spent some time during lockdown working on some artwork for an upcoming project which is going to be a custom 3.75 inch Christopher Reeve Superman figure. For this, I intend to mount the figure onto my Palitoy inspired artwork. I wanted something that would well and truly fit in...

scott ive reached out to him as to buying these but as you can see in the thread above hes pretty discouraged by the lack of interest shown over there

ill keep you posted if i get a response

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, those look really nice! Someone hire this guy to do these for real!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 3, 2009

yeah i agree, i get the feeling these were a real labour of love for him

Palitoy-SpiderMan-Front-and-Back.jpg

Palitoy-Wonder Woman Card-Front-and-Back.jpg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Great-looking figure, and I love the era/variety of the cards--well-designed. And thanks for the pix.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    Wow, those look really nice! Someone hire this guy to do these for real!

Chris
                    Once, I had a toy guy tell me the Kenner packaging designs are overrated, as they're just black matte with still shots. Funny how that overrated design has had only real design rival since 78, (GI Joe RAH).

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

While I think there is more to add than those two, there are plenty of winning 80s concepts like Super Powers, I would surrender that the days of winning action figure card art are probably long dead due to style guides becoming more and more stringent and well, flavourless.

Nobody sets out to design a toy package anymore but a "brand look" that makes everything look boutique and revel in it's dull sameness. My product manager days in the early 2000s were full of managed expectations and an education on how bad it really can get.

I can't get into it to due to NDA but I recently saw a brilliant, shiny toy package made incredibly bland thanks to style guide mantras. It went from sexy to frumpy in one email. The company will get blamed and won't say anything and well, that's really gonna suck because their design was glorious.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                        While I think there is more to add than those two, there are plenty of winning 80s concepts like Super Powers, I would surrender that the days of winning action figure card art are probably long dead due to style guides becoming more and more stringent and well, flavourless.

Nobody sets out to design a toy package anymore but a "brand look" that makes everything look boutique and revel in it's dull sameness. My product manager days in the early 2000s were full of managed expectations and an education on how bad it really can get.

I can't get into it to due to NDA but I recently saw a brilliant, shiny toy package made incredibly bland thanks to style guide mantras. It went from sexy to frumpy in one email. The company will get blamed and won't say anything and well, that's really gonna suck because their design was glorious.
                        The first couple waves of Toybiz Marvel was a good look too. Maybe a little Superpowers influenced
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

^ I was going to add Super Powers, but it wasn't around long enough. The design lasted the test of time, though.

Weird to think how long-term lines like MOTU and Transformers really had meh packaging. MOTU was always confusing. The cards were total generic, while the boxes and mini-comics were some of the greatest original work, ever. Even Alcala's original cardback work was outstanding, then slowly replaced by production illutrations.

And am I the only one who couldn't read the Transformer boxes?

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                            Nobody sets out to design a toy package anymore but a "brand look" that makes everything look boutique and revel in it's dull sameness.
                            Gi Joe Classified is kind of going against that trend. Every character is done by a different artist in a different style.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap
                              ^ I was going to add Super Powers, but it wasn't around long enough. The design lasted the test of time, though.

Weird to think how long-term lines like MOTU and Transformers really had meh packaging. MOTU was always confusing. The cards were total generic, while the boxes and mini-comics were some of the greatest original work, ever. Even Alcala's original cardback work was outstanding, then slowly replaced by production illutrations.
                              I didn't find a place to say it here but yeah, the MOTU cardbacks are boring. The art on the playsets and vehicles is gorgeous tho.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎